cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Openreach Ultrafast

Hi. I`m really struggling here to get Ultrafast fibre into our road and hence FTTP. We currently live at the end cabinet from the exchange and furthest from the cabinet. To top it all, the cables between cabinet and house are aluminum and very brittle apparently, often failing. The estate was built in 1982 so BT wanted to cut corners and use this cheap alternative to copper. But more frustratingly and bizarrely, the roads attached to ours all have Ultrafibre. Openreach have said they`d have difficultly doing our road as they used some none conventional grids and tunneling all those years ago? Not sure what was meant by this, but surely they have to address this. Currently, like I say we can only get Superfast (poorly) and currently using Three 5G as over broadband provider. I feel so constraint with whom I can chose regarding ISP and would dearly come back to BT if I could. I don`t know where to turn to. I`ve asked SKY to put pressure on Openreach to upgrade our street like our neighbours, but I`m not sure how much clout they`ve got to do this.  And, before anyone screams, I know there are people in the sticks suffering worse than me, but just seems so unfair that I`m a road away from my neigbours and I`m being excluded from their "luxury" Ultrafast. Advice please!! RANK OVER -SORRY!!

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Openreach Ultrafast

Unfortunately no ISP (including BT) can put pressure on Openreach to cover your street. You'd be better pressuring your local council rep or MP. They have more clout than an ISP and its still not much. Local paper may help too, or a combination of all 3.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: Openreach Ultrafast

Openreach like every other network provider look to get the maximum bang for their buck , so if for example your street would require £1000 per property spent on construction to make FTTP available , and another nearby street could  be delivered with an average spend of £200 per property then it’s clear where they will target  ( they are a business after all ) , 5 times the ‘THP’ total homes passed , for the same build cost 

As far as ISP influence, no ISP has any more or less influence than any other and OR use their own criteria for deciding where and when areas will be built , and as stated , you could have an area , a individual street , without availability, when all the surrounding area have FTTP available, if the cost to provide is  outside the budget allowed per dwelling, it may seem unfair , but that’s the reality. 

0 Ratings