cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 40

Openreach fibre move

Go to solution

What do you think of Openreach's handy work?  I had my fibre connection moved from the groun floor to the 2nd floor.  The aerial cable already went to the 2nd floor, so you think they'd just poke it through the wall?  Nope, it now runs from the 2nd floor, down to the ground floor, then back up again!  All to save some lazy engineer 5 minutes to do it properly.

bt-fibre-arrows.jpg

0 Ratings
39 REPLIES 39
Message 2 of 40

Re: Openreach fibre move

Go to solution

That is the way it is done. the engineer wasn't being lazy. They CSP is where they internal firbre is spliced to the external one and that cannot be done up a ladder.

Message 3 of 40

Go to solution

So they wouldn't just move the box to the 2nd floor?  Or just push the original fibre through the wall?  I've worked in telecoms for a long, long time, this is not normal!!!

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 40

Go to solution

Don't care how long you've been in telecoms, the CSP is always at ground level.

Bit tricky balancing a splicing machine on a ladder.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 40

Go to solution

If anything it’s more work not less ( so hardly lazy ) but as already stated , the CSP is installed at a safe working height ( so ground level ) and an ‘internal’ cable ran from it to the location of the ONT , which presumably you wanted at a first floor level….given those restrictions then with an overhead fed property , the cable from the pole has to connect to the building at height ( there is a minimum height it needs to be above ground ) , runs down the wall to the CSP ( so that the splice in the CSP is done without having to be on a ladder ) then the ‘internal’  cable is ran to your choice of ONT location , given that you decided where the ONT was to be located then the way it’s been installed is really the only way it could be done.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 40

Go to solution

But fine to have the fibre on the 2nd floor in the first place?  Or have run the cable up to the 2nd floor?
"always better", really?  This is like some kind of comedy work.  I'll make sure and post this to other ISP forums now to see what people think of this bit of handy work.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 40

Go to solution

No, it's not the only way it could be done.  The obviously correct way was just to feed the cable through the 2nd floor wall.  Anyone looking at this will laugh at the job they've done, there's no excuse for it and no-one would accept that job.  I'll post to other ISP forums now to see what others think of their handywork.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 40

Go to solution

@sdfdsfdsfdswrote:

No, it's not the only way it could be done.  The obviously correct way was just to feed the cable through the 2nd floor wall.  Anyone looking at this will laugh at the job they've done, there's no excuse for it and no-one would accept that job.  I'll post to other ISP forums now to see what others think of their handywork.

Please do, i guess you never had any access to openreach procedures or work on the network when working in the telecoms industry?

If you did, then you would know there has to be an external csp fitted at ground level to allow splicing of the internal fibre to the lead-in.  This isn't done the same as copper dropwires, There is absolutely nothing wrong with that install, and someone with your experience would know that.

Message 9 of 40

Go to solution

So you’ve working in Telecoms a long long time apparently but I’d hazard a guess you’ve little to no experience in Fibre, specifically FTTP.

With Copper you can put a BT66, AGDC, etc up higher as all you need is a £2 Pair of Crimping Pliers, which if dropped won’t break and even if they did would only cost £2 to replace.

To joint Fibre you need a Fusion Splicer, even the cheap Frame ones Openreach SD Engineers are given cost about £600, to splice you not only need the Splicer but some Fibre Strippers and both hands free at all times so putting a CSP at 1st or 2nd floor level wouldn’t be practical, or safe.

You'll also find the 75+ Alt Nets out there also put CSP’s at ground level, regardless of what floor the ONT goes on.

So please do post this on every Telecoms forum you can so everyone who knows what they’re talking about can have a good laugh. 

Message 10 of 40

Go to solution

Still waiting for @sdfdsfdsfds  to post replies he has had on other forums supporting his view. Guess we'll have a long wait!

0 Ratings