cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 25

Package & Speed Downgraded - Won't let me upgrade to speeds I had previously

Back in 2017 I was originally on BT Infinity 2 (I think that's what it was called) and due to being close to the exchange I achieved solid download speeds of over 70Mbps consistently.   Apart from 1 blip, as posted elsewhere on these forums, where my service was cut to 67Mbps and needed a line reset. 

However, since BT have changed their promo's and rebranded the service again they moved me over to Fibre 1.  although solid and reliable I now only get a max download speed of just over 40Mbps yet the price is still eye wateringly high and has increased year on year.

If I try to upgrade my package it simply doesn't offer Fibre 2 as an option.  If I put in a generic postcode for where I live rather than landline number it again only says Fibre 1 is available?

My question is how come I have broadband nearly half the speed of what it was half a decade ago with no faster options available?  Is it just that people have swamped the exchange and its no longer possible? 

I've done a broadband speed check (hopefully) attached and it seems to me to be reporting that the service speeds of Fibre 2 should be possible? 

I run a home Nextcloud server and move a lot of files and a lot of Linux ISO's and things.  Faster upload and download speeds would certainly be desirable for the amount I  pay a month!exchangejpg.jpg

0 Ratings
24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25

Re: Package & Speed Downgraded - Won't let me upgrade to speeds I had previously

Can you post stats from your hub/router  

Have you been having connection problems with router dropping connection or maybe resetting trying to get better speed or maybe both 

Have you checked MYBT for your current package 

From dslchecker your up speed was20mb which suggests you are already on fibre 2

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 25

Re: Package & Speed Downgraded - Won't let me upgrade to speeds I had previously

Hi

Yes I did check current package.  Its reporting as Fibre  with BT Halo 1 (Had to look up what that was which I think is a modem) which I've never been sent or would use as have own third party one.

I've attached details from router.   Can see max rate is over 80.  I do see some CRC errors reported but again as I said previously they have me on the 1 package anyway and don't even state the Fibre 2 being available.

As for drop outs we had a powercut about a month ago but other than that its been very solid.  I've been on this slower speed long before that, since they moved me from infiinity to this new package.  As I say even querying BT without them knowing I'm an existing customer they only return Fire 1 as an option and don't even mention Fibre 2.

router2.jpgrouter1.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 25

Did you get a free upgrade to fibre 2 speeds maybe 18/24 months ago which would explain why you package still shows fibre 1

From what you have posted I think you previously had some connection problems which resulted in the DLM putting your connection into a banded  profile which explains why you have what appears to be a fixed connection speed of 44mb and up speed of 20mb

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 25

Hi.  I've not had or been offered any updates at all. I was on Infinity 2 and I've been automatically moved to Fibre 1.  Just checked through and searched emails from last couple of years and there is nothing relating to anything like that. 

I had problems about 4 years ago that cut speed but after posting here they done a line reset?!? and I've had near 80Mbps speeds until they swapped me to this new package a while ago.  Unfortunately we had terminal illness in the house so this was least of worries but would like to sort now and get money's worth!

I have no ideas what DLM or Banded Profile is?  May I ask how do I get out of that if it's the cause? 

Also one important point. If this is a banded profile problem related to me how come if I go to BT anonymously and lie about my address giving any other one in the village I live in I'm never offered Fibre 2 package?  Only ever Fibre 1?  Faster option not even mentioned.  Can't be whole town wide problem? 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 25

The reason why you aren't offered the 80mbs package is because you are already on it. I think you may have got confused when they moved everyone over to Halo 1 and thought that was related to your speed (which it isn't) 

It looks like you've got a line problem and the DLM has lowered your speed in order to make it more stable.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 25

as you have 28 days stable connection and still stuck in banded profile I have asked mods to see if they can help you.  you are still on fibre 2 just speed restricted by DLM

this may help   FTTC DLM - What it is & How it works - Plusnet Community

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 25

Many thanks for the help both of you.

I hope simple confusion is the answer and it can get resolved..

Like I say the thing that threw me is if I search for broadband deals  and put in a different address on the road I am clearly still offered only two options:

Fibre Essential & Fibre 1 with the lower upload / download speed?  That seems a bit odd? 

Anyways thanks again and look forward to a mod contacting to hopefully resolve. 

Screenshot_20210801-091357~2.png

Screenshot_20210801-091455~2.png

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 25

Hi @YetiWakes,

Thanks for your recent posts. We will test your line and check your profile to see what's happening.

I've sent you a private message with some info that I need.

I hope that we will be able to help you.

Thanks

DanielS

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 25

Hello

Its been five days since request and I've replied to private message with requested info and I've heard nothing since.. presume it's a post covid catch up situation which is fine but please understand one thing.   

We've just had a storm and a powercut that's reset router again before profile can be reset!!  Please can it be noted this is sod all to do with line reliability and more to do with the big man upstairs! 

Thank you.  Look forward to hearing confirmation of what's happening. 

0 Ratings