cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Question on Openreach Installation and Permission

Go to solution

Hello all,

I have a fiber installation booking next week. Openreach sent me a link, and in that it says that I need to have the landlord's permission to drill a small hole inside and outside the building.

Will I need to prove this permission somehow to the engineer, or is that just to make sure that my landlord is aware of the work? What is accepted as a permission, a letter? An online conversation showing he's fine with it?

I also saw a wayleave form via doing some search, but I haven't been given a reference number to enter to that form. It's a house and we are the sole tenants, and my landlord is aware of the work, but I dont have any evidence about that. 

Is wayleave only necessary when the work effects other buildings (i.e a apartment complex etc) (also why would they book me in without wayleave first, so I probably won't be needing that in my case)

BT on the other hand, told me that I won't be needing any landlords permission, because that work is being done with the third parties, which was confusing as I haven't given them my landlords details.

I'm just trying to avoid the engineer to come and not do the work because of missing permissions.

The process is not very well explained, and I'd appreciate any input from anyone with experience.

Thank you

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Question on Openreach Installation and Permission

Go to solution

Can’t think it’s a matter of wayleaves. Since you have informed the landlord and they have assented I think you are good to go. 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Does the property already have an Openreach connection  ?, the vast majority already have an Openreach connection from previous service , regardless of it currently being used, for the last 40 years or so , most get one when the building was being constructed.

The link is a catch all , occasionally there could be a landlord that objects ( although you would think that being connected to a network is a positive and makes the rental of the property more attractive ) if the landlord objects but the tenant has agreed, then OR and the service provider ( BT in your case ) can point to your acceptance as the permission they needed , and restorative work to the building would be between you and the landlord if the landlord insists the line is removed.

The installer won’t know , or care , if you are the property owner , or a tenant.

Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

There's no connection at all. It's I think an FTTC job. My landlord agreed, and he might even show up to guide the engineer, however, I don't have any proof that he has. My main question is, if they are going to require some sort of permission evidence, or wayleave form that needed to be submitted to proceed. 

Bt on the phone told me, there won't be a permission from the landlord needed, but Openreach says on their website ''If you rent your property that you have the landlord's permission for us to drill a small hole on the inside and outside of the building.''

The thing is they don't explain what constitutes as a permission, a letter, a verbal agreement, or its just something they say due to legality and responsibility. My guess is latter, but I'm just trying to avoid engineering coming and going back.

The installer won’t know , or care , if you are the property owner , or a tenant.

I guess this answers my question. Thank you!

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

If you already have a BT connection (perhaps phone in the past before you) then it won't be an FTTC connection as that will be served by thee present copper line.

As said the installer won't even ask but if you are concerned just get an email from the landlord giving permission and just show it the engineer.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Thank you, There's no previous connection, or sockets in the house. They're going to need to put holes and get cables and sockets in. Even on this job, I heard the engineers won't ask or require any permit, but can't be sure. As long as they accept an email or conversational approval as a valid permission, I'm good. Thank you!

0 Ratings