cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

Re: Neighbour 5 metres away has Full Fibre, we don't.

I have the same problem.  All the ISP's are stuck and state they can't provide FFTP as Openreach show our exchange hasn't been upgraded.

Our road of 22 or so houses is surrounded by about 500 houses that are connected to the same exchange, street cabinet as we are and all can get Ultrafast.  The houses were all built at the same time and all have underground 2.5 ducting to each property.  This has been confirmed by Openreach.  Two Openreach engineers have stated that at the top of our road is the underground access point and they can see our streets ducting and in fact all the cable to the other homes that get ultrafast.  They have stated all we need to get connected is a "pull through".  There are plenty of spare nodes for use to connect to at the exchange.

Many months of contacting Openreach I am no further forward stuck with a rubbish speed.  The reply I get from them is that my area isn't in their Ultrafast upgrade plans, despite confirming that the 500 or so houses around me are able to get Ultrafast and my exchange has been upgraded.

They did offer to connect me to the network for £14500 but then stated it would only be a pull through and I need, and I needed to get an ISP to put the request in, however I can't get an ISP to do that because their system shows I can't get Ultrafast. 

I asked Openreach to do a site visit to the street, however they refused.

So I am stuck in a loop, never moving forward.

I did think about asking for an additional line to be installed in the hope they would pull through a fibre optic line, that would allow me to access Ultrafast but I don't know if that would work.  

If you get anywhere please let me know.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Its not clear if your situation is similar to the OP.
FTTP has nothing to do with ‘cabinets’ , it’s separate from the copper access network, although it can and does share some of the same ducts, jointboxes etc as the copper network.
Exchanges aren’t really upgraded with FTTP either, most local exchanges don’t have an OLT ( headend ) but many exchange areas are served from the one exchange that does have an OLT, someone with FTTP could be 40 kilometres from the actual exchange that houses the OLT , the spine cable running past a few ‘exchanges’ .
If  these 22 houses are surrounded by FTTP property’s, then OR presumably have considered upgrading them ( why wouldn’t they ) and on first glance it seems easy pickings , but there may be more to it , and with respect to the OR techs that have offered their opinions, it may not be that easy, it’s possible that although the local infrastructure can support a new PON , after all 22 houses , if are all ducted back , within a shortish distance, to a common point , then a single splitter could service all 22 property's ( that requires 3 fibres in the spine cable ) , but if the spine network hasn’t the capacity to light up a new splitter it’s a moot point, it also suggests some considerable work ( and costs ) are required if the FTTPod costs were £14k plus,

£14k split over 22 property’s is a little over £630 each, ….a community funded project may be suitable.

Asking for an additional line will result in a second copper pair line.

Message 3 of 13

Thanks for your reply, I seem to have had more sense from you than from OR over these past few months.

The only thing I can see different on the system is that my address doesn't show that it has ducting installed like the others.  It does and is the correct size etc as that's how my address is serviced currently.  I suppose if OR don't think we have it that could explain why we were missed out ??  and the high cost of connection.

Here's some information if you can see anything that might be useful.

2022-01-01.png

 One of my neighbours details

2022-09-02 (2).png

 Here's a map of the estate with everyone connected to Ultrafast, my road is in the middle.

map.png

 These are all the postcodes that can get ultrafast

NG17 1LG, NG17 1NH, NG17 1LY, NG17 1NX, NG17 1NU, NG17 1NY, NG17 1LR, NG17 1LE, NG17 1LF, NG17 1LX, NG17 1NL, NG17 1NB, NG17 1ND, NG17 1NP, NG17 1NW, NG17 1NA, NG17 1NF, NG17 1LS.

I really want to swap over to BT/EE but their guaranteed speed is very low, and I fear I would get even worse speeds than I do now.  Sky's is 44mb, and they struggle to get that!!

Unfortunately, not every on the street has £650 to throw at it, and we can't get any grants because Ultrafast is already in the area!!!!!

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

@Jenson675 wrote:

 I really want to swap over to BT/EE but their guaranteed speed is very low, and I fear I would get even worse speeds than I do now.  Sky's is 44mb, and they struggle to get that!!

The speed you get on copper will be exactly the same whatever provider you use as it will be the same copper pair regardless. Guaranteed speed is just an estimate.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

@Jenson675 

I have moved your post and replies as problem not same as thread originator and just making things confusing

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 6 of 13

Sorry to clarify the minimum speed, at present if it does below 44mb with Sky I call them and they sort it out, I would have to wait until it falls below 33mb if I came over to BT/EE before they would do something.  Hope that makes sense.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

In theory.

In practice if your speed falls marginally (probably due to increased crosstalk), it is unlikely that Openreach will be able to improve on it regardless of provider. If it falls due to a hard fault, it is likely to go below BT's guaranteed speed in any case.

Can you post your hub stats please?

Message 8 of 13

Is this what you mean ?

Line Rate - Upstream (Kbps):18014
Line Rate - Downstream (Kbps):52118
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

The neighbouring address that can get WBC FTTP show the type of ‘feed’ ‘ underground 2.5 duct ‘ in use , because they have been surveyed for FTTP and the network ready for service , your address , although doubtless the same hasn’t been surveyed or has been surveyed but the PON not built so the checker not updated with survey info.
I would agree that it’s odd that if they have done neighbouring areas , why omit yours, given the property’s are of a similar age and design , it could be that the area has been surveyed but not yet planned, and it may just appear as available, you would see OR in jointboxes etc fitting CBT’s etc previous to this , but given such a small area , no doubt once ready to build , it would be a day or two maximum to built the PON
Message 10 of 13

When we had the first lockdown, the estate was swarming with OR vans, shortly afterwards Ultrafast was accessible to everyone but our road !!

0 Ratings