cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 22

Siting of modem

Go to solution

I want to upgrade to full fibre, which is now available in my street. However, existing BT line comes in by front door and goes under the floors to a BT socket at the back of the house. How do they get from the front door to the existing socket? I have no power sockets available in hall either.

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22

Re: Siting of modem

Go to solution

Full fibre will not use existing master socket.  how does your existing phone line enter your home from pole or undergrounds

openreach will instal and ONT and will require power socket nearby

ont-pon.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 22

Go to solution

The existing line is underground. There are no power sockets nearby in the hall but several near the existing BT socket in the living room.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 22

Go to solution

normally fibre cable will follow existing copper into your home.

can you enter your phone number and post results especially the notes

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 22

Go to solution

Openreach could  site the ONT in the Living Room near a power socket.

You then have two choices.

1) Run a network cable (StarTech Cat6) under the floors to the existing Router Location

2) Move the Router to the Living Room.

You will need to have the router handy anyway so the engineer can test everything works

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 22

Go to solution

Thanks - I can’t seem to post the info. If I take a screenshot it says the file is too large and if I try and copy & paste it says the info is invalid etc.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 22

Go to solution
How would they connect the ONT to the fibre optic cable coming in from the outside wall?
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 22

Go to solution

Try using camera icon

how to upload photo.PNG

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 22

Go to solution

@Jpn201 wrote:
How would they connect the ONT to the fibre optic cable coming in from the outside wall?

Not sure what you mean. The ONT is the termination point for the fibre. The external fibre goes into  a grey box on the external wall (CSP) where it is spliced to an internal fibre that goes through a hole drilled in the wall and plugs into the ONT. The ONT then connects to your hub by a standard Ethernet cable.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 22

Go to solution
Yes, I did, that’s when it told me the photo (screenshot) was too big!
0 Ratings