Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 11 of 19

Re: Telephone line not compatible with broadband

Go to solution

If you would care to check the Openreach website this will tell you what I am talking about 

https://www.openreach.com/upgrading-the-UK-to-digital-phone-lines

I just want to know when they will be coming to my area?

Screenshot_20230620-101837.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 19

Go to solution

@Anonymouswrote:

If you would care to check the Openreach website this will tell you what I am talking about 

https://www.openreach.com/upgrading-the-UK-to-digital-phone-lines

I just want to know when they will be coming to my area?

Screenshot_20230620-101837.jpg

Just relax. What you have seen is a general news release not specifically aimed at your good self. If Openreach can update/change the entire country by 2025, I'll gladly eat the hat that I don't have!

As the community has pointed out, you have a more than adequate connection to utilise the digital phone system should it be foisted upon you while you continue with your current broadband set-up (which may be FTTC given your reported speed).

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 13 of 19

Go to solution

Well that's what's supposed to be happening by 2025!  But I'm sorry the BT Community haven't been able to answer my question about the Digital lines. 😃

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 19

Go to solution

Hi, @Anonymous You'll be notified at least 4 weeks before you're due to be transferred to digital voice.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 15 of 19

Go to solution

Great. Thank you :⁠-⁠)

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 19

Go to solution

Not forgetting it would be with exactly the same cable currently being used

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 19

Go to solution

You are probably getting confused between the analogue phone service ( PSTN ) switch off and the eventual replacement of copper cables with fibre , the PSTN ( publicly switched telephone network) switch off isn’t very far off , and will be completed by the end of 2025 , many people after this date will still be on copper pairs , they will access their ‘landline’ services by plugging a phone into the broadband router ,( if they already have one ) , and one will be supplied ( and they will be converted to broadband) if they only have a landline and no broadband, they won’t pay anything extra , as this version of broadband will only be fast enough for telephony, not ‘internet’ .
Eventually, all copper cables will be replaced by fibre optic, but this may be many, many years away , for those that live in remote , or very expensive to reach areas
You posted previously and were given this information, unfortunately you appear to still have little understanding of this subject

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 18 of 19

Go to solution

@iniltous Thank you for the information, but as I have pointed out I am only telling you what every single  BT engineers have told me for the past 45 years that I have low VDSL. Telling me the BT engineers are wrong is ridiculous and telling me I don't have an understanding is offensive. There does appear to be some activity in some areas (like my friend in Kent) where lines are being updated in preparation for the switch off. Making digital voice calls on 80 year old telephone lines is ridiculous. I can't wait to see digital lines, as replacements for  our telephone lines and when I make my phone call on them in 2035 I will think of you! ❤️

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 19

Go to solution

Hi All, this thread is not going round in circles. I’ve therefore made the decision to lock it.

Cheers

John