cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Upload speeds

I have a question, it’s not really an issue except uploading photos and files can be a bit time consuming.
I was reading about the average upload speeds being around 10mbps, and realised that mine are below average, at about 3mbps. I’m on BT Fibre with Halo 3, and get good download speeds of around 40mbps. BT do say my normal upload speed will be 3-4mbps so I know there’s not a lot I can do about it. 
When I signed up to BT in 2018, my upload speeds were around 7mbps.
I’m just wondering what could have caused the upload speeds to drop like they have, but not changed the download speeds? The screenshots of tests I have from when I signed up to BT are on a Wi-Fi connection, but I got similar, if not better results when I tested on a wired connection then too. I still get similar results between wired and Wi-Fi now.
I use the Ookla speed test app on my phone and the Ookla website on the desktop computer. I have compared results with Ookla and the speed test BT recommend you use and they are similar. 

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Upload speeds

The frequencies used by upload and download are different and are thus affected differently by crosstalk which can severely reduce speed.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: Upload speeds

Also, its the higher frequency bands that are used most for uploading, and these are more affected by crosstalk, as copper cables were never intended to carry such high frequencies, up to 12MHz.

This picture shows the frequency distribution.

adsl vdsl spectrum.jpg

0 Ratings