Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 1 of 24

VDSL query

Go to solution

I've just done a BT speed checker for my phone line, which I've never done before. Please could someone help me out with it.

I just need to know what VDSL clear and VDSL impacted mean at the top and also which figures do I go for, which tell me my phone lines download and upload speeds?

I took the screenshot on my smartphone.

Thank you 😀

Screenshot_20220923-135348.png

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24

Re: VDSL query

Go to solution

It just means that those are the speeds that can be expected for a line without or with  impairment such as a bridge tap etc.

You don't get a choice it is the characteristics of your line. The speed you actually get is predicted to be  between 55.9Mbps and 35Mbps but the actual figure will not be known until the service is provided.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 24

Go to solution

The speeds shown are connection speed to your router not download speeds at any device.  The download speeds on wireless device will fluctuate due to interference a d best checked by ethernet connection. Expected connection speed at router would for vast majority of customers is the top line

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 24

Go to solution

..........and shows that your line is 'compatible' with broadband despite your assertions in another thread.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 5 of 24

Go to solution

@licquorice  

It's not me that is telling you my line isn't compatible, it's the engineers that have told me. I'm just a customer.

😄

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 24

Go to solution

Calling posters who try to help you and check your previous posts for any history of problems a Troll is not a great way to get help on this forum!

Message 7 of 24

Go to solution

@Anonymous 

We are all just customers but appear to have far better knowledge than the so called openreach engineer you spoke with

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 8 of 24

Go to solution

@Anonymous 

You still appear to be stuck in the BT Busby era 46 years ago and really need to catch up with the rest of the wor!d- this is 2022 not 1976

Message 9 of 24

Go to solution

@Anonymous the only thing I can think of that may prevent broadband being delivered down your current line is a thing called DACs where two properties share the same line. When moved to a fixed line broadband connection Openreach will remove the DACs as part of the process and you will have your own line.

As shown from the database results provided by Openreach and BT Wholesale for your property a broadband connection is indeed possible and can be ordered.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 24

Go to solution

VDSL is FTTC ( fibre to the cabinet ) broadband and can deliver upto 80Mb speed, you obviously can get this service ( so much for your incompatible line ) , your predicted speed is shown , in very basic terms, others living closer the the FTTC equipment would get faster speed than you, those further away slower speed , it’s a rate adaptive system , the line rate varies , mainly with distance from the cabinet.

There is an ‘I’ button that define what a clean and impacted lines are, impacted lines may not be anything to do with Openreach, someone could have fitted ( badly ) their  own extension sockets which could   ‘impact’ the speed delivered , so the consumer is given a range of speeds,  indicating what they should expect , they won’t necessarily know if the line they have is clean or impacted. Its an estimate anyway ( and tends towards the pessimistic ) so in many cases the speed delivered can be better than the clean guide.

0 Ratings