cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 16

Very frustrating

Go to solution

My costs  for broadband were going up for sky superfast and BT had a deal for full fibre  which is much cheaper than sky superfast so I placed an order with BT to come in and install fibre into the home. I already have fibre to the house with a box stuck on the outside wall next to the garage which openreach had installed a few months back. My office which sits directly behind the garage has trunking with lots of power points. A subcontractor for  openreach  turned up yesterday and took one look at the box outside and said I can't install fibre for you. He explained that it would've meant taking the fibre cable around a corner and drilling a hole in to the garage and then in to the office and positioned where the trunking is for power. He said he couldn’t do it  as fibre-optic can snap so it has to be in a straight line. . He did offer to put the modem in the garage and said I could run lan cables in to the office but there's no power in the Garage. So I've had to cancel my order and check with sky that they're not cancelling my superfast broadband.  Where the box was positioned on the outside wall makes it impossible to drill through just that wall and in to the office. 
obviously he knows more than me, so I took what he said is being correct, but if anybody has any ideas then that would be appreciated
He IMG_0959.jpegIMG_0960.jpegIMG_0961.jpegIMG_0962.jpeg 

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Re: Very frustrating

Go to solution

I'm confused. If you already have fibre to the house why does Openreach need to run another fibre?

Can you post a close up picture of the grey box, its not clear what it is and what function it is performing.

The contractor clearly didn't want to do the job, fibre isn't that delicate. The actual fibre is about the thickness of a human hair and is protected by several layers including a Kevlar layer. As long as any bend radius doesn't exceed that of a £2 coin it will be fine.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 16

Go to solution

I’m not an expert on this sort of thing, but as far as I know, the engineer said that he had to run the fibre-optic cable into the house and they can’t be bent to go around corners as they will snap. So that’s the box on the outside of the wall, which I thought could go through the garage at the top where the vent is through the trunking in the garage and into the office as shown in previous pics IMG_0567.jpegIMG_0568.jpegIMG_0569.jpeg

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 16

Go to solution

You've been given a load of bull, my fibre has three 90 degree bends in it before it comes through the wall and a fourth one as it emerges into the house and it's never been a problem in too many years to remember 

Message 5 of 16

Go to solution

It won't snap.

I can't see a problem with the cable coming out of the CSP up the wall and the into the garage at the top. You could always thread the cable through a 90deg conduit elbow to protect it on the sharp corner of the brickwork.

Message 6 of 16

Go to solution

Thanks. I might go back to BT and ask them if they can arrange for an open reach engineer pop by for a second option when they’re in my area.

Message 7 of 16

Go to solution
Thanks. That’s exactly what I thought. I figured that they could run it up the wall and then through the vent through the ducting in the garage and then drill through the wall into the office where the power points are. He said that wasn’t possible.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 16

Go to solution

If you already have fibre to your office I am not sure why Openreach need to install anything. Not familiar with Sky but since it is an OR service I assume they use the same ONT in which case do you not just need a Smart Hub and you are good to go ?

Peter

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 16

Go to solution

I suspect the OP has only external fibre as far as the CSP and current service is copper hence requiring internal fibre and ONT to be provided.

Message 10 of 16

Go to solution

Strangely, if it were a contractor that had your installation to finish ( presumably the CSP was fitted where you requested it to be fitted on the first part of a two stage install ) it’s odd they would ‘refuse’ what would be a pretty quick and easy job , given that contractors tend to be paid by completions, handing a job back means they are paid significantly less than if they completed the job, the majority of the work is already done , an hour to hour and a half would see this job completed, although it’s possible there is a ‘2nd stage only’ rate for contractors that make these  job less lucrative, perhaps it better for a contractor to pick up 2 or 3 ‘full installations’ per day , than 4 or 5 ‘2nd stage only’ jobs .

I dare say that the next installer won’t have a problem with the way you envisaged the job given that you probably picked the location of the CSP with the rest of the proposed cable run in mind.
AFAIK, jobs a contractor ‘kick back’ are not cancelled but reallocated to an OR technician, who will probably finish the job without any issues.

0 Ratings