cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 16

Re: Very frustrating

Go to solution

Having had fibre to the property completed in the last few weeks, there were a few points I was made aware of.

The fibre 'cable' from the street chamber to the CSP (grey box) has a mind of it's own and will snap very easily.  I have just tried a piece and the best radius I can get before snapping is about 70mm.  The cable has to be handled carefully as it only wants to be straight and you have to be mindful of the whiplash.

Fibre Cable extract.jpg

The actual optic strand is very fine as demonstrated above alongside a dress making pin but when the cable snaps, it is the two protective Glass fibre cores that run either side of the optic.

Then, the distance from the CSP external grey box to the internal ONT internal white box cannot exceed 3 metres with the connecting white flexible optic cable supplied.  The ONT box needs a mains power supply within 1 metre for the connection of the power plug and cable provided.

The single RJ45 output from the ONT to the hub will have a 1 metre RJ45 (red) cable supplied by BT.  However, my hub was still over 5 metres from that point so, I purchased a 7 metre RJ45 cable but the spec must be  Cat6 or above S-FTP/PIMF.  That ensures minimum data loss .  That RJ45 cable put a big dent in my weekly pension!

I get a consistent 925 down and 110 up so well pleased with the service.   Hope this helps somebody somewhere 🙂

Old Granddad

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 16

Go to solution

@OLD_MAN wrote:

Having had fibre to the property completed in the last few weeks, there were a few points I was made aware of.

The fibre 'cable' from the street chamber to the CSP (grey box) has a mind of it's own and will snap very easily.  I have just tried a piece and the best radius I can get before snapping is about 70mm.  The cable has to be handled carefully as it only wants to be straight and you have to be mindful of the whiplash.

Fibre Cable extract.jpg

The actual optic strand is very fine as demonstrated above alongside a dress making pin but when the cable snaps, it is the two protective Glass fibre cores that run either side of the optic.

This thread is about the internal cabling, not the external feed to the CSP.

Then, the distance from the CSP external grey box to the internal ONT internal white box cannot exceed 3 metres with the connecting white flexible optic cable supplied.  The ONT box needs a mains power supply within 1 metre for the connection of the power plug and cable provided.

30M, not 3M

The single RJ45 output from the ONT to the hub will have a 1 metre RJ45 (red) cable supplied by BT.  However, my hub was still over 5 metres from that point so, I purchased a 7 metre RJ45 cable but the spec must be  Cat6 or above S-FTP/PIMF.  That ensures minimum data loss .  That RJ45 cable put a big dent in my weekly pension!

Cat 5E is more than adequate

I get a consistent 925 down and 110 up so well pleased with the service.   Hope this helps somebody somewhere 🙂

Old Granddad

Message 13 of 16

Go to solution

@OLD_MAN  From the CSP to ONT an E-Z bend cable is used. Perhaps you need to see this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LxNAVGzfTg 

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 16

Go to solution

Thanks all. If the distance from the CSP external grey box to the internal ONT internal white box cannot exceed 3 metres with the connecting white flexible optic cable supplied then I have a problem as the to cable up the wall and through the garage to the office where the white box should be about 20 feet. Openreach are coming back at the end of the month so I will hsve to see what they say 

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 16

Go to solution

There is no 3m limit on the cable from the CSP to the  ONT , these  cables  which have a pre fitted SC/APC plug on them ,  that plugs into the optical port of the ONT , they are  available in various sizes, to minimise the waste , obviously you wouldn’t use a 30m cable on a 5m run and throw away 20+ metres of cable unnecessarily, and this can be a type of cable that  has a protective black jacket/cover  , once  the cable is inside the property this external ‘jacket’ is removed ( AFAIK called an ‘inside out’ cable or something similar) ,  so it more closely resembles a typical white ‘internal’ type cable , there are also cables that don’t have this jacket , if there won’t be any part of the cable visible externally, the installer picking the appropriate cable for the job at hand.

The only distance related issues would be if someone requested that the ONT were located somewhere within the property that required a long and complicated internal run through the property, in those cases it’s more the time that would be required to run cable with would result in a refusal to locate the ONT at that location than the distance, but I would imagine in the vast majority of cases a location for the ONT can be agreed between the installer and consumer , a tech would likely run as much cable externally as possible to avoid torturous cable runs internally, entering the property as close as possibly to where the ONT is wanted 

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 16

Finally connected

Go to solution

So a few weeks back i posted my experiences of attempting to subscribe to fibre. I’ve had lots of useful advice from you guys after a subcontractor for OpenReach turned up and took one look at my house and said sorry it can’t be done and gave me lots of reasons quoting that fibre-optic was too fragile to go around corners and that I needed power in the garage before he could do anything  and then he went away. I’m now finally connected as I asked for another openreach engineer to come and have a look and this time I got a proper engineer who said  it was tricky but not a problem and he did a neat and tidy job and an hour later I was connected to a 900 GB connection although at the moment it’s only 500gb to the hub but I’ve been told by BT that will increase over the next couple of days.

Anyway, I just want to say thanks as if it hadn’t  been for you guys and your expertise, I would’ve given up rather than call BT again and insist that they come and have another look

0 Ratings