cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

What happens if FTTP installation/activation fails when moving to BT ?

Hi

A relative is looking to move from Sky FTTC to BT Full Fibre with Digital Voice (keeping phone no.).  Openreach FTTP became available to order a month ago.  One of their neighbours is I believe with BT and they took up the offer to upgrade to FTTP but the installation ran into issues, so they continue to use existing BT FTTC service until resolved in coming weeks.

My question is if my relative moves from Sky to BT and Openreach engineer fail to get FTTP working on agreed installation date, what normally happens?

We're guessing Sky will terminate FTTC services including telephone on the original installation date.  Does this mean they would be without phone and broadband until Openreach resolve the FTTP installation issues?

thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: What happens if FTTP installation/activation fails when moving to BT ?

Unfortunately, that is possible, anecdotally it seems Sky switch off on the date they are given , so if there is an Openreach delay which in most circumstances would lead to the existing providers service remaining in place , especially with FTTC to FTTP and a change of ISP , I would assume the worst , however there is not necessarily any reason why it would fail , but if taking a extra cautious approach, wait until your neighbours is working on FTTP , that should sort out any OR network issues , not just for your neighbour but anyone else on that part of the PON.
Message 3 of 5

Thank you for reply.

Have there been situations where BT have provided 'new' customers with a 4g hub while waiting for the delayed FTTP installation problems to be resolved, or is this only available to Halo customers?

Another expensive option under consideration is to keep the Sky FTTC and phone line, and order BT Full Fibre and Digital Voice with a new telephone number.   I presume it is possible to port telephone number from Sky to BT Digital Voice, which would lead to Sky services being cancelled.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

That may work , but with all number ports there is a chance it fails and the number becomes irretrievably lost , I was going to suggest moving to BT FTTC from Sky FTTC , then upgrade to BT FTTP having a better chance of keeping the phone number , but if FTTP is available then FTTC may not be available, often once FTTP is available it becomes the default network for migrating or new supply

I think the supply of a mobile connection for the interim, ( if an install fails )  isn’t dependent on being a Halo customer.

Message 5 of 5

Thank you for warning of risk of number port failing.

I checked the address and only FTTP can be ordered from BT. No FTTC products.

0 Ratings