cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 17

Re: Will BT/Openreach come up with a GPON built in Modem/Router?

Go to solution

The ONT is the demarcation point between OR and the end users  kit , if it ever became the case that the fibre tail ( SC/APC ) could be plugged into an ISP or customer supplied  combined ONT/Router , then there is no longer a simple demarcation point , you couldn’t simply remove the Ethernet cable between the ONT and the ISP or customer supplied router , plus there would have to be a way for the ISP or customer to arrange for this non OR supplied equipment ( combined ONT/Router ) to be authenticated onto the OR headend, with all the potential ‘security’ issues this could present to OR from third party kit connected that OR have no control of.

Its also possible that the end user plugging and unplugging the fibre tail , causes contamination of the fibre , this can cause issues , and the end user could face the possibility of charges if the fibre end is contaminated because the end user give the fibre end ‘ a bit if a wipe’ before plugging into non OR kit….basically , as already stated , OR will always supply the ONT , not the ISP or the end user, that’s how it is and will remain 

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 17

Go to solution

When I lived in Portugal with Vodafone, the fibre connector went straight to the built-in GPON Modem/Router.

Like this: rBVa4WASZ9KAIzctAAD8yCcqGss491.jpg

The fibre connector is located in the bottom of the router, so yeah its possible but again in Portugal Vodafone owned the fibre infrastructure, it wasn't shared.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 17

Go to solution

All I see on there is an RJ11 Port, which would imply it’s either an ADSL or VDSL Modem.

If it was a GPON ONT it should have an SC Fibre Connector Port.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 17

Go to solution

It has one on the bottom of the unit, not shown in the picture.

This was the unit I had before.

HG8247H_背面照.jpg

pplware_router_vodafone00.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 17

Go to solution

Ah right, I see it now through the Air Vents.

Doubt BT and or Openreach will ever use those as they’re Huawei and they’re under pressure from the Government not to use them anymore because of Security Concerns.

BT Technology have already been instructed to remove all Huawei Equipment from the Backhaul Network and Openreach have stopped using Huawei Head Ends in favour of Nokia and Adtran.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 17

Go to solution

Oh wow, that's good news 😂 a bit off-topic, I'm moving to a new property and going back to FTTC, whats a good modem-only I can use without any bits and bobs, I just need something that can do the passthrough and leave the Dreamachine to do the PPP connection. If I'm on a Huawei cabinet can I use an ECI modem, and vice versa or it's not recommended? 

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 17

Go to solution

Yes, on FTTC the ECI and Huawei Modems are interchangeable.

On FTTP you can use Nokia ONT’s on both Nokia and Huawei Head Ends.

I’m not sure if you can use Adtran ONT’s on Nokia or Huawei Head Ends yet. I left my job as a CSE before any Adtran Head End went live. 

0 Ratings