cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Would a 3rd party router plus Openreach modem offer a more stable connection?

I have had connection troubles for years, after countless engineer visits my connection still drops all the time, which lowers my speed so I have to get an engineer out again, who usually give me a lift and shift and a DLM reset which helps for a few months and then the problems start again. I have replaced all cables, network card, gotten a replacement Smart Hub 2, reinstalled Windows, updated the network drivers, firmware, bios etc with no luck. The only thing I haven't tried is getting a separate modem and router which I've read can help stability? I can't afford to waste money if it won't help, but I would pay for it if it would.

For example my hub just disconnected for a minute and my speed dropped 3MBs, and it'll keep doing it until I've lost half my sync speed and I'll need to get another engineer out. I just want a stable, fast connection. I'm far from the exchange so the best I can do is about 42MBs but even 35MBs and stable would be ok. I can't get FTTP or I'd jump on that instantly.

My connection never holds for more than a few days before reconnecting, the router usually lasts better and doesn't often restart. At one point a few years ago I had 42MBs rock solid for 6 months straight with no disconnections at all, it was incredible but since then I've been receiving terrible service.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Would a 3rd party router plus Openreach modem offer a more stable connection?

In reckon your issues are outside of the house - so a poor conection at a joint or even water ingress.

@SteveBBwrote:

I have had connection troubles for years, after countless engineer visits my connection still drops all the time, which lowers my speed so I have to get an engineer out again, who usually give me a lift and shift and a DLM reset which helps for a few months and then the problems start again. I have replaced all cables, network card, gotten a replacement Smart Hub 2, reinstalled Windows, updated the network drivers, firmware, bios etc with no luck. The only thing I haven't tried is getting a separate modem and router which I've read can help stability? I can't afford to waste money if it won't help, but I would pay for it if it would.

For example my hub just disconnected for a minute and my speed dropped 3MBs, and it'll keep doing it until I've lost half my sync speed and I'll need to get another engineer out. I just want a stable, fast connection. I'm far from the exchange so the best I can do is about 42MBs but even 35MBs and stable would be ok. I can't get FTTP or I'd jump on that instantly.

My connection never holds for more than a few days before reconnecting, the router usually lasts better and doesn't often restart. At one point a few years ago I had 42MBs rock solid for 6 months straight with no disconnections at all, it was incredible but since then I've been receiving terrible service.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Fibre 2 Unlimited using EE Smart Hub 2 with EE TV Box Pro (UHD/HDR) in IP mode.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

Re: Would a 3rd party router plus Openreach modem offer a more stable connection?

@SteveBB 

with FTTC distance from the exchange is immaterial it is distance from your street cabinet that counts

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

Hi @SteveBB and thanks for posting.

Sorry you've had a long ongoing problem. @ozsat might be on to something here. Have you tried a quiet line test? Try connecting a phone to the test socket and dial 17070. There should be no noise between the announcements. Let us know how that goes.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

@DavidM  There's a very faint hiss and a little bit of popping. Shouldn't this be something an engineer would check for? 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

It should be totally silent, report the fault.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

@DavidM @licquorice I never use the landline so I've never noticed it, but there's popping even when speaking to BT, whenever the line goes quiet it starts to pop. The first test came back clear but the second one showed distortion on the line so he's booking an engineer for me now. Fingers crossed it'll finally fix my connection issues. I'm really surprised this was never picked up by any of the engineers though, don't they test for this when they're here?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

Depends on the quality of the 'engineer'.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

I've been told an engineer has been allocated for Monday and the fault should be fixed by the 10th without them needing to come to the property, so it sounds like an outside issue. I don't want to get too excited but I have hope at least.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

The answer is yes and no.

If the problem is with the Hub (which my issues were) then replacing the kit with a better quality modem and router would improve things dramatically but if the problem is on the line or at the cab then all the new network kit in the world wouldnt make a difference because it will only work with what its being fed

if you have the option to borrow some kit to test then great otherwise it can be an expensive gamble if the problem is on the line and not the hub

0 Ratings