cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

bt full fibre router placement

Hi there.

Full fiber is tempting but I have an issue that i hope can be got around or i just can not have it. My bt router at the moment is upstairs off an extension socket with my ethernets going to pc and consoles. I  would need the new full-fiber to be in the same place for me to have the same setup.

is this a service bt can provide if I went full-fibre?

Thank you

regards

lee

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: bt full fibre router placement

My copper line came indoors via an upstairs room and when I changed to full fibre this was questioned by the BT rep on the phone. However when the Openreach installer visited the fibre line was run in exactly the same place. I.E it shouldn’t be a problem.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Bear in mind that the ONT (fibre connection point) doesn't have to be in the same location as your router. You can connect the 2 with up to 100 metres of Cat5E Ethernet cable.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

Thank you for the reply, as far as I know, and can see. I have a little box for the line coming in at front of the house for the phone line at the moment that says Openreach on it . Which i presume is the way it would come into the house. I just don't see how it can go from there to the bedroom at the rear of the house. The master socket, which is in the hallway must have had the cables pulled through in the past from the entry point, but no visible cables inside at all so not sure how it got there from where it comes in the house at the front

My ideal solution would be, to come in where the box is at the front, and pull through to the master socket, then from there feed cable from the master socket to the extension socket in the bedroom, which i believe that's the way it is now, as opened master socket long time ago and you can see the other cables connected in there, which i assume is the current extension points . 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

what determines the location of the ont, i think that would solve some issues?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

@leeea12345 

I've no experience of this but I think you can discuss it with the engineer on the day.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

The location of your copper service is irrelevant to where the fibre enters, it is entirely separate.

As @TimCurtis says, discuss with the engineer on the day

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

My bt master was in my internal garage while I had FTTC. 

When I purchased FTTP, I asked the engineer on the day if he could run the cable further along the wall and bring the ONT in via my living room.  He happiliy obliged so suggest you have a polite word with the engineer on the day and you should be fine.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

Thank you all, i had a visit yesterday to do the outside work required. I spoke to the engineer. They said it would come into the house through the kitchen, then into the living room. Then would be up to me from there. This would mean me running a long cable from the living room to the back bedroom. They could not even go up the front of the house due to i all being tiled.

So I have to cancel for now. I will get a cable installed when I have the time, then rebook. At least I know where the entry point will be and can run a cable to that point all ready to connect. Thank you all

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

Don't cancel it, you can just use powerline adaptors to connect the ONT to the Hub temporarily until you can get a cable run in.

Something like this will be ok

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/powerline/tl-pa717-kit/

0 Ratings