cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 25

Re: full fibre dig up driveway?

Go to solution
I think then if you order FTTP there would be a survey first. If it transpired that installation would entail digging up your drive, you could cancel with no penalty.
If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
Message 12 of 25

Go to solution
Thanks. It actually says it’s partial under ground nothing about a duct but my husband remembers one being laid. We are with Mildenhall exchange. I don’t understand the jargon on the link - it says we are a FFTP priority area.
0 Ratings
Message 13 of 25

Go to solution

@SuzyQ15wrote:
Hi. Sorry I can’t see where this duct is mentioned on your snapshot? Thanks for the link - it says installation at my address would be ‘KC12 Assure’.

A post by Blair McGregor Network Architect - Syscomm dated Thur 01-08-19 states;

"This is a marker to indicate what delivery process an order will go though and is provided to us (CPs) by Openreach.

KCI2 is the stage at which a committed date for delivery is agreed, barring any unforeseen issues."

Ref: KCI2 Assure :: Fibre Broadband :: think broadband

Message 14 of 25

Go to solution

Yes that exchange is one of the first trial exchanges in the UK to have restrictions imposed by Openreach on what technology the broadband and voice services can be ordered.

Have a look at https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/retiring-the-copper-network

Essential for voice service (i.e house phone) this now can only be delivered over the Internet (VoIP) and can't use the traditional PSTN network that you used today.

Also as FTTP full fibre is available to your property it looks like that even though FTTC fibre infrastructure is there and what you have today they won't let communication providers renew/create orders for a FTTC based product and instead will only accept FTTP full fibre products to be ordered. As shown below

Exchange MILDENHALL is served by Cabinet 29
Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Handback
Threshold(Mbps)
WBC FTTC Availability Date WBC SOGEA Availability Date
High Low High Low      
VDSL Range A (Clean) jac_95_0-1644750753937.gif

80 76.8 20 19 71.8 Unavailable Available
VDSL Range B (Impacted) jac_95_1-1644750753941.gif

80 75 20 19 68.4 Unavailable Available
G.fast Range A (Clean) jac_95_2-1644750753943.gif

-- -- -- -- -- Unavailable --
G.fast Range B (Impacted) jac_95_3-1644750753946.gif

-- -- -- -- -- Unavailable --
Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range (Mbps) Availability Date FTTP Install Process
WBC FTTP Up to 1000 Up to 220 -- Available 1 Stage
Other Offerings Availability Date
VDSL Multicast Available
Exchange Product Restrictions Status
FTTP Priority Exchange N
WLR Withdrawal Y
SOADSL Restriction Y

The exchange is not in a current fibre priority programme

As a WLR withdrawal exchange, product restrictions apply

SOADSL is restricted at the exchange

Our records show the following FTTP network service information for these premises:-Single Dwelling Unit Residential UG premises served by 2.5 Inch plastic duct 56.

FTTP is available and a new ONT may be ordered.

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

Actual speeds experienced by end users and quoted by CPs will be lower due to a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for IPstream is from 31 Dec 2012. The Formal Retirement date for IPstream is from 30 Jun 2014.

In order to be eligible for handback, downstream speed should be less than Downstream Handback Threshold values.

If you decide to place an order for a WBC fibre product, an appointment may be required for an engineer to visit the end user's premises to supply the service

Mildenhall exchange:Only single order products are available and ADSL and ADSL2+ products are not shown as available.However for premises that can only be served by SOADSL, BT will continue to accept ADSL and ADSL2+ orders until SOADSL is available.

Message 15 of 25

Go to solution

Hi,

on the second line D56 refers to 50mm grey duct/conduit. There would be room in that to draw in the fibre cable. Partial May mean they may need to check the ducted route outside of your boundary i.e in the pavement or road back to where they would connect the fibre cable to supply you.

Message 16 of 25

Go to solution

A Pre Visit Survey, or Step 1, Rod and Rope as Openreach call it only happens on a L2C if the person who Surveyed the PON checked the Box for your CPE to Require a Survey.

As the Wholesale Checker says it’s a One Stage I’d hazard a guess it’s been marked down as being served by Duct 56.

When surveying PONS it’s impossible to check every individual property, Surveyors will usually check 2 or 3 properties on the street then assume they’re all built the same.

You mention yours comes up into the house in the Porch. That’s unusual, unless you live in NI.

Usually the Duct goes to the outside wall, was it there originally and then have a Porch built over/around it?

If it’s the latter you may have problems, used to come across that more often than not when I worked for Openreach SD. Unfortunately Builders have a nasty habit of blocking the Duct Entry Point. The only options to get FTTP into the property was dig up outside of the homeowner lifts up the floors blocking access to the original duct entry point.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 25

Go to solution
Sorry but you have used so many abbreviations that I do not understand. I am a BT customer, not an engineer. 😂
The wholesale ‘thing’ for my address doesn’t mention duct (that was someone else’s example, trying to help). Mine says ‘partial direct in ground’
We leave lived here since 1986. The phone lines were installed long before we built an extension. The line goes from the street connection, then under my driveway and then under the concrete floor of the extension. The phone connection is also buried under the concrete floor (my husband just extended the cable). He doesn’t think you can do this rod and rope thing. And there’s no telegraph poles in our street.
0 Ratings
Message 18 of 25

Go to solution

Where the copper line enters the house is somewhat irrelevant. I suspect what will happen is the duct will be intercepted where the new external wall has been built. The external splice point box will be attached to the wall at a suitable point, a hole drilled and the ONT (optical modem) fitted at a location agreed with the installer.

Message 19 of 25

Go to solution
Thanks. Yes I understand that. But they would have to take up part of the driveway (where it meets the house wall) to find the duct and connect. I understand how it will then enter the house.
However, I’ve recently spent a lot of money having my driveway renovated (I wish I had known about this issue beforehand) and I am worried that OpenReach will not return the paving to such good order.
Is a site survey possible prior to making any order? Would I have to make the order and cancel within the cooling off period?
As I apparently live in a Fibre priority area - do I have other options?
0 Ratings
Message 20 of 25

Go to solution

If the telephone cable is ducted then they will probably shoot the fibre through using compressed air (assuming there are no obstructions or tight bends in the duct), I would then expect it to emerge from the same place that your telephone cable emerges