cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 41 of 49

Re: much slower quoted speed than neighbours - cabinet full ?

Go to solution

I'm totally confused, you said you have SOGEA which means no phone service and you have a home Hub 6 which doesn't work with DV, you need a Smart Hub2 which would have been supplied by BT if you had DV.

0 Ratings
Message 42 of 49

Go to solution
If you have taken telephony as part of your package and it’s DV ( digital voice ) why aren’t you using the appropriate router , the SH2 ?
0 Ratings
Message 43 of 49

Go to solution

I do have digital phone service from BT, they included a phone number when the home move service went active.  But I can't figure out where to connect the phone...

The home move team said I should be able to use the same router. I have a bit smart hub.

Admittedly, I don't use the landline, only broadband, hence the lack of handset.

0 Ratings
Message 44 of 49

Go to solution
The SH2 has a phone port , that’s where you connect a landline type phone , but it’s of no use in determining if you have a landline fault , previously using the quiet line test ( accessed by calling a short code phone number ) could identify a noisy line , with DV it’s pointless.
0 Ratings
Message 45 of 49

Go to solution

The engineer has been. Tracing back the fault he could see high speeds up the road but not at my property. A lot of the joints are paved and not covered by manholes, so he tracked it back to one that has a manhole, where he saw higher speeds.

He said it is likely damage caused by street being dug up by City Fibre a few months ago, but that seems like an easy blame game too. He also said the street has a lot of OAPs who have never looked into their speeds. Its possible the original cable is low quality and may have been damaged. But it is damaged in a way that internet is slow, not in a way that it is entirely disconnected, so that's strange / convenient.

He will raise a tracing engineer, who will then raise an engineer to dig up and fix within 1-3 weeks. I'm not holding my breath. Am waiting for him to provide his report to BT to start chasing. BT are legally obliged to provide minimum of 10 download, so they should send a 4g hub. BT will probably try to upsell me the next package but I don't see the point in paying more to get slower speeds.

He also said its not a cabinet issue as its a vdsl line we have.

In the mean time he changed the master socket and put us on another line which has increased download speed from 5ish to 7ish and upload remains at 2-3.

0 Ratings
Message 46 of 49

Go to solution

So the Openreach cable into your home is damaged , there has been excavation in the area by other companies , but you think the chances of this excavation being responsible for the damaged cable is an excuse, ( your are basing your opinion on what  ? ) you also think a cable damaged in such a way that  isn’t a total disconnection but affects ‘broadband’ is strange /convenient, but it’s not unusual for cables to be damaged in such a way that it is affecting ‘performance’ but not to the extent of complete failure,  so why do you think that is that strange or convenient, it’s hardly convenient if OR are now having to repair a cable , especially if it’s ( probably) been damaged by other companies working  in the area .

I don’t know why you would think the Openreach engineer working on your faulty Openreach lineplant , ( that unfortunately now needs passing  to a different type of Openreach engineer , with the appropriate skill set ) , needs to report anything to BT for BT to chase , for BT to chase chase who ?

It’s pretty clear you don’t appreciate what BT and what Openreach are individually responsible for , BT’s next  involvement will be when Openreach advise them that your  fault is cleared ,  BT would then close your ‘report’ and if any compensation were due , arrange it, until then OR have advised you of the nature of the problem , the apparent reason for the problem , and the next step towards it’s resolution

0 Ratings
Message 47 of 49

Go to solution

@whynotask wrote:

But it is damaged in a way that internet is slow, not in a way that it is entirely disconnected, so that's strange / convenient.

Which you were told was a possibility in message 37, no idea why you think its strange.

He also said its not a cabinet issue as its a vdsl line we have.

Which you were told in message 36

In the mean time he changed the master socket and put us on another line which has increased download speed from 5ish to 7ish and upload remains at 2-3.

0 Ratings
Message 48 of 49

Go to solution

little update - basically BT & openreach are doing nothing. I call them every other day, and they then message openreach for an update, and the response is always ' we will escalate and update tomorrow'. There seems no way to get an update from BT other than calling them and asking.  The call always ends up taking 30 mins. Sometimes the staff members call back the following day with the generic non-response . No tracing engineer has come.  Nothing has happened, and even BT staff at call centre seemed bemused by the openreach response of 'we are escalating and will update the tracker '.

Appreciate BT can't do anything until openreach do their bit, but I am a BT customer and am getting no service and no update from them which is not nice.

0 Ratings
Message 49 of 49

Go to solution

another update - BT keeps saying 'next week'. I call them every Wednesday and they say it will be done by next Wednesday. BT is insisting openreach has no obligation on timeframe, and saying BT have no way to make Openreach do anything. Not sure what to do....

0 Ratings