cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 49

much slower quoted speed than neighbours - cabinet full ?

Go to solution

I am moving to Maidenhead and my property has extremely slow fibre according to all ISPs, even though neighbours either side seem to have higher speeds according to ISPs. Spoke to a couple of openreach based ISPs and all said the same thing. I cannot understand how this happens, but guessing its a cabinet full situation? BT have suggested get an engineer booked in, or start a new installation to get a new line put in. 

They are saying it is fibre, but min download of 5 and min upload of 1.7 which is ridiculous.

Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Handback
Threshold(Mbps)
WBC FTTC Availability Date WBC SOGEA Availability Date
High Low High Low
VDSL Range A (Clean) 33.8 22.4 6.5 4.6 19.2 Unavailable Waiting list
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 33 18.5 6.4 4.1 13.6 Unavailable Waiting list
G.fast Range A (Clean) -- -- -- -- -- Unavailable --
G.fast Range B (Impacted) -- -- -- -- -- Unavailable --
Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range (Mbps) Availability Date FTTP Install Process
FTTP on Demand 330 50 -- Available --
ADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) Availability Date
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 8 -- 5.5 to 12.5 Available
WBC ADSL2+ Annex M Up to 8 Up to 1 5.5 to 12.5 Available
ADSL Max Up to 5.5 -- 4.5 to 8 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
SOADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) WBC SOADSL Availability Date
WBC SOADSL 2+ Up to 8.0 -- 5.5 to 12.5 Available
SOADSL Max Up to 5.5 -- 4.5 to 8.0 Available
SOADSL Fixed Rate Up to 2 -- -- Available
Other Offerings Availability Date
VDSL Multicast Available
Exchange Product Restrictions Status
FTTP Priority Exchange N
WLR Withdrawal Y
SOADSL Restriction N

0 Ratings
48 REPLIES 48
Message 2 of 49

Re: much slower quoted speed than neighbours - cabinet full ?

Go to solution

"VDSL Range A (Clean) 33.8   22.4   6.5   4.6   19.2   Unavailable Waiting list"

As you suspected, the cab is full. All you can do is take an ADSL service & keep checking for an available port in the cab. Note that there is no actual waiting list, just a case of who grabs it first.

Other options would be an AltNet if available or possibly 4G router is there's good indoor coverage.

Message 3 of 49

Go to solution

Thanks for your reply. 

Is copper wire always laid under the pavement? I'm being paranoid and thinking it's under the house behind or across the road and impacted by their construction (both had major work recently).

What's the column in the checker to keep track of? The two on the right? 

Funny thing is both side neighbours also say unavailable and no, but the openreach speeds quoted are higher.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 49

Go to solution

You just keep checking dslchecker and looking for waiting list changing to available then place order

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 5 of 49

Go to solution

Thanks for your comment.

I'm a bit dubious of the 'unavailable' column as my london flat says that and I have fantastic fibre. The engineer fixed a bridge tap within the flat. Hoping it will be the same in maidenhead.

I hope to get the BT to send an engineer who can see if there is any other issue. property has been not lived in fully for a few years so maybe never investigated. Literally every other house on the street shows a better speed. maybe they got all the slots.

Any advise on how to 'force' an engineer visit with BT? I'm planning to request one and bear the cost as needed.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 49

Go to solution

It’s unclear why you would think it dubious that a FTTC cabinet could be ‘waiting list’ due to no spare ports , when you have already personally experienced the result of a cabinet having no spare capacity, in that you were  unable to order FTTC , which confirms the status of the cabinet as full  ( obviously it had spare ports you would be able to order FTTC ) 

BT would only send an engineer to your address if you ordered something , and if FTTC is unavailable because the FTTC ‘cabinet’ has no spares , that would have to ADSL broadband ( not FTTC ) , only if it were necessary would the tech actually visit the property , if you did get an installation visit , as opposed to remotely bringing the property into service, the engineer could  only provide what was ordered ,  and that would be ADSL .

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 49

Go to solution

Thank you for your reply. I see your point. 

I'm hopefully the property shall lactually get better speeds, but will only know when I get there.

I've also just found out about bt's universal service obligation (uso) requiring minimum 10mbps speeds. Funnily that checker says my address has speeds greater than 10, but when placing order they said I'll get 5. I might try that angle too.

•  
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 49

Go to solution

Have a read of this before trying that path. https://www.bt.com/broadband/USO 

Note the word "eligible" and cost that may be involved.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 49

Go to solution

Thank you. Yes I've read through that. I'm guessing it's probably almost impossible to convince BT/openreach to do anything.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 49

Go to solution

Where in Maidenhead are you moving to? I grew up there and still visit but I was under the impression good internet speed was abundant everywhere?

0 Ratings