cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

"Major Service Outage" - 10 days and counting

Go to solution

Hi,

First time poster here.  I am based in Salisbury. At just before 10am on Monday 6th I completely lost my landline and broadband - the router went to "flashing purple" mode to indicate no line. I logged on to MyBT on my mobile and ran the fault finder, which told me a fault had been detected and that they'd aim to get it done by Thursday 12th.

When I next logged on to check on progress, I got a message on my home page about a "Major Service Outage" in the area. The estimated fix date moved out to Thursday 19th Jan.

Today that estimated fix date has been moved to Friday 27th Jan.

I know that, after months of pre-amble the switch to Digital Voice is imminent, but I have to admit that I find a 10 day outage, with another possible 10 days to come, as a bit beyond the pale. I work from home and I'm having to (ab)use my work mobile as a hot spot just to get any work done.

So, before I phone BT to complain, I thought I'd check on these forums first. Has anyone else suffered this length of complete service loss related to Digital Voice Migration? Or is anyone else in the Salisbury area suffering this same outage? 

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: "Major Service Outage" - 10 days and counting

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

If your fault is due to a major service outage, it got nothing to do with DV , if it is a major service outage 12 days is a really long time , MSO’s are extremely high importance and have immense resources thrown at them to get whatever it is ‘fixed’ .

What type of service do you have ?, ADSL , FTTC or FTTP , although FTTP is less likely if you are not already on DV , so what checks have you done , have you checked the master socket test port ?, are any neighbours that use an ISP that uses Openreach also out of service ?

I would re report your fault , although it’s possible it’s part of a MSO , the length of time you are out of service seems excessive, even when FTTC ‘cabinets’ are demolished in road traffic accidents, they are normally restored in less time than you have been out of service,

I suspect your fault is not part of a MSO at all, and simply a fault on your individual line , but may well need an engineer visit to sort out, 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution
Hi,

Thanks for replying. I believe I am on FTTC. I don't know if neighbours are affected, though I have seen OpenReach people out and about in the neighbourhood these last few days. I have not checked the master test port - I took it on face value that the problem lay "out there " somewhere - but I will definitely try it out this evening. 
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Obviously a MSO doesn’t affect one or a few customers, but many , otherwise it wouldn’t be a MSO , typically a MSO would be if a  FTTC cabinet were knocked over , or the fibre cables into that cabinet were ‘cut’ , then potentially hundreds of customers (of BT and other providers, like Sky or Talk Talk ) would also be affected  hence why asking your neighbours if their BT , Sky or TT service is working ( not Virgin or any Alt Net )  could be helpful, if they are ‘working’ but you are not , then the MSO is fictional, if they are also out of service then the diagnosis of a MSAo may be true , but you should still be kept informed of progress/dates etc.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Using Salisbury Museum's phone number there are no issues outstanding.

rbz5416_0-1674067139336.png

https://www.bt.com/help/check-service-status

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

Hi @AMcL63 welcome to the community and thanks for posting, I'm really sorry about the delay in fixing your fault as I appreciate the inconvenience this must be causing.

In my experience faults that fall into the major service outage category can take longer to repair due to the scale of the issue and the amount of work required to get everyone connected again. If road works are required, Openreach has to apply to the council before setting up traffic control measures and this can also add to the delay.

I'll send you a private message so you can get in touch with the moderation team and we'll be happy to find out what's happening with the repair.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

@AMcL63wrote:

Has anyone else suffered this length of complete service loss related to Digital Voice Migration? Or is anyone else in the Salisbury area suffering this same outage? 

An MSO is not linked to Digital Voice, the MSO is declared by Openreach who own and maintain the network.
Digital Voice is not an Openreach product, to Openreach you don't have a telephony service, you have broadband only, also known as SOGEA.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks to all who replied. I'm currently following this up privately with Neil0.

Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Good morning @AMcL63,

Thanks for taking the time to speak with me this morning and for allowing me to post up about your fault.

The cabinet that you are connected to has been flattened in a road traffic collision. Openreach were made aware of it on the 9th of January at 11.27am. They have an estimated completion date of January the 27th by 6pm.

As per our call, here is the link for Automatic Compensation

Drop me a line if you need any other help at all. 

Thanks
DanielS

0 Ratings