cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Going on to 5G SIM plan with a 4G wireless router

Hi all,

I've moved onto a 5G SIM only plan (cheaper and with a larger data allowance) for our wifi in our mobile home. Our router is only a 4G unit (TP-Link with a 4G SIM, 2015 vintage), though, and when I check the connectivity, it's now always offline. It dropped off on the date that the new plan started.

My question is : Is the 5G plan exclusively 5G? I'm not really prepared to pay a few hundred pounds at the moment for a 5G router. Don't devices select the mode automatically, and my router would still continue on 4G although I'm paying for 5G connectivity?

Thanks in advance!

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Going on to 5G SIM plan with a 4G wireless router

Are you saying that you have put a 5G SIM card into your 2015 vintage 4G router?

If so then I would be very surprised if it did work

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for the quick response Les!

No the router still has the 4G SIM, which has worked OK up to now.

Have I actually dug myself into a nG hole?

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 6

The 5G plan will work on any of the network standards that your router is compatible with i.e. 2G, 3G, 4G or 5G.

If your device is 4G then it will work with the SIM.

(Remembering it will only be as good as the signal is in your area).

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

@Anonymous  In this case, will the router deliver better speeds (In comparison to what was offered on BT 4G restricted download speeds) while being on a 5G plan with the same 4G router?

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 6 of 6

It's dependant on the max speed your contract allows, network speeds & deployment in your area as well the technology in your router supporting the network setup. I have one of those mini-hubs from BT with a SIM in it which maxes out at 90Mbps but my iPhone hits 200Mbps because the modem and antenna in the iPhone is better. Sometimes 4G routers are do not perform as well as newer phones because the capabilities are not as good as phones.

I believe that 5G contracts from BT had no upper speed limit (mine didn't but I was a Halo 3 customer) so that shouldn't be a restriction for you but it might be worth checking your account and/or calling 150 to ask if there's any restriction.

0 Ratings