cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Account Closure and Credit Refund... Still not happening

Go to solution

Please could a BT Community Helper advise me...

I was a landline and broadband customer but chose to leave several months ago. Although your service has always been brilliant, as a customer of well over 20 years BT was sadly unable to offer a renewal/contract comparable to those for new customers or by other providers. Your call centre customer service representative agreed to begin the 30 day period to end my out of contract package. They were extremely helpful and advised me of the procedure and final bill I should expect which would signal the end of my custom. 

I received many many emails and the process seemed to be continuing in the right direction-

27th Jan - Confirmation my landline and broadband would cease on 24th Feb

21st Feb - Confirmation I was moving to another provider and my services would move on 28th Feb (no idea why BT changed the date from 24th, but a few extra days wasn't the end of the world)

24th Feb - Request to return my router (seemed to acknowledge that my services ended on 24th Feb)

28th Feb - Confirmation that my phone line was stopped (seemed to acknowledge that my services ended on 28th Feb)

My next bill arrived on 18th March confirming that I was now £37.13 in credit, but not stating clearly in writing on the bill that this was the "final bill" which I was told to expect on one of the many emails.

Checking my account online, my next bill is apparently due on 18th June- and although my details show that I have no chargeable services from you, there is no acknowledgement of a final bill being due or my account being closed.

On 24th March after no further updates by post or online, I called customer services again and spoke to a lovely call handler who confirmed that my services had indeed ended. With my proof of postage information he was also able to tick off that I definitely had returned my router which stopped those annoying reminder emails which carried on weeks after I posted it back! All ok there but...

He said that there must have been a glitch in the actual closure of my account so he would fill in the relevant form, send it to the department responsible, and that I should expect a phone call from BT to confirm final closure of my account within around 14 days. This would presumably trigger the final bill, and a cheque from BT refunding my account credit. 

I have waited for nearly 4 weeks now- BT haven't called, emailed, or written to me confirming closure of my account or refund of my credit. I don't want to phone again as it leaves me with no written evidence to look back on when the agreed action hasn't taken place, and there is no easily findable email address to directly contact BT, so I am hoping that one of your lovely Community Leaders/Moderators may be able to nudge this in the right direction? 

Hopefully in the future I can look forward to returning to BT as a new customer and take advantage of your better deals, but I need to be able to leave you properly first!

Thank you for your help,

Sue

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Account Closure and Credit Refund... Still not happening

Go to solution

Hi @R2sue, sorry your account hasn't been fully closed. 
Are you using an @btinternet email address? This is because that can cause an account not to be closed so the email can be used for Basic Email account to keep the address active. BT Email products | Types of BT Emails | BT Help

Cheers

John

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Hi John,

Thank you so much for your fast reply!

I had a BT email address when I first moved into my house 25+ years ago but have never used it. Will check on it now and presumably there's an option to close it if it's still active- hopefully killing it off will help move things along.

Please could you confirm though- would an active email address be the reason why I haven't received a final bill for broadband and landline services, and the reason why BT haven't called me in response to the call handler's request to close my account?

I'm sorry if that sounded like a grumpy old so and so, but I can understand an account staying open in its very basic form to facilitate an attached email address, but not that it would cause a final bill not to be issued, stop BT from contacting me after a request has been made to close the account, or delay a refund of account credit. 

Thank you for your help,

Sue

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Hi @R2sue, no need to apologise you'll not be able to close the account yourself. I've sent you a Private Message so you can get in touch with the Mod team. We'll arrange the refund and we can close the account if you aren't going to be using the bt email address.

Cheers

John

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution
I get a message to say that I'm not logged in to any emails if I use my account login to access BT email via the website- please could you let me know if that confirms that I don't have any active email addresses? Thank you!
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Hi @R2sue, if you reply to my Private Message with your details we'll sort all for you from here.

Cheers

John

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution
Thank you so much, John- I've replied on Private Message and really appreciate your help today!
Sue
0 Ratings