cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Account Status change

Hi, I am reaching out here with a concerning matter related to my personal information. Despite not having any current accounts or telephone services with BT, I recently received an email from Clearscore notifying me of a change in the account status for a communication supply account (screenshot added). I have had BT services in the past, but that was a few years ago and I had no arrears, account has been inactive, until now.

This has left me worried about the possibility of identity theft, and I would like to investigate the matter further to ensure that my personal information is secure. I have heard horror stories of people receiving huge bills with international/premium numbers from an account in their name.

I have tried to reach out to BT customer service via phone multiple times, but as I do not have an account or telephone number with them, I have been unable to get through to anyone helpful. Additionally, I have been unable to locate any customer service email for BT.

I would greatly appreciate any guidance or support you can provide to help me address this issue promptly. My main concern is to prevent any unauthorized accounts or services from being opened under my name, and I hope  BT ensure the security of my personal information.

Thanks.BT.png

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Account Status change

See if your MyBT account is still active & you can log onto to it. That would show if any services are still active & if the account number matches the digits visible on the credit report. An account number would also give to a way to speak to billing.

I just logged onto my old account & it must be at least six years since that was last used. I can see there that there are no active services or current bills.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Thanks for taking your time replying.  I don't have a BT account, coming to think of it, I can't actually remember the last time I was with BT. I've remembered, I was with Sky previously.  I've never had any BT services at my current address.

I've also tried 'Forgotten Password' with my only email I've had for a while and it doesn't recognise it. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Hi @Perry2311,

It is rather strange that this has appeared on your Clearscore credit file. Have you asked Clearscore to dispute this?

Take a look at their article here: Clearscore Someone I don’t know is on my credit report  

They talk about fuzzy matching which could possibly be the cause of this. It's worth raising the dispute form with them.

It would be useful if they could give you the account number that they have starred out also in case it's linked to your account you had with us years ago. Or, if it could potentially be linked to an active account now.

Let me know how you get on.

Thanks
DanielS

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Hi Daniel

I have sent an email to clearscore asking for more details.  I will keep this thread updated, in case anyone else has similar issues. Thanks.

Message 6 of 8

8F14F391-4103-4F8F-B77C-047A4D3BC1A3.jpeg

Hello, 

I have just been googling this same thing. I have just noticed tonight exactly the same thing as for you has happened to me. I haven’t had a B.T account for quite a few years and what is even odder is exactly the same date as you 16th Feb for reactivation on BT Consumer account, on my credit file. Have you had any luck resolving this issue? 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Hi.

Yes, so I've raised a dispute with Equifax and that is under investigation. They're in touch with BT and says it can take up to 28 days.

One thing I did spot on the dispute is a previous address. I haven't lived there in 10 years.

So not sure what's happening. I hope the current tenant hasn't received letters in my name and trying to reactive the account.

Im going to ring BT today and give them that address and see if they can find something.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Hi,
I opened and Equifax dispute yesterday too, also It was at an address I lived in 8 years ago. Strange….

Hopefully all can be resolved soon.
0 Ratings