cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 28

Re: Am I getting a better package?

Go to solution

Sorry if it appears I mislead you but in your OP you stated they told you fibre 100 was full fibre, it appears now you are getting G.Fast which still requires the copper phone line without a call package if you don't need the phone.

Message 12 of 28

Go to solution

Oh no problem. They did tell me it was full fibre but then I asked if I could get rid of my phone line and they said no because I still needed it. I think I'm going to have to ask the openreach engineer when he comes next week what exactly is happening because the call centre staff seem unsure.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 28

Go to solution

FTTP is not available to you, G.Fast is. Ergo your service will be G.Fast which is delivered by your copper line.

You can get rid of your phone SERVICE but not the physical line.

Message 14 of 28

Go to solution

@Tantalum This is how Openreach describes G.FAst on their website.

what is GFast Fibre Broadband?

Just like Superfast, GFast Fibre broadband uses Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) technology. We turn Superfast into GFast by changing the frequencies of the connection, turbocharging your download speed to up to 330 Mbps.

We can only turbocharge the connection over a short distance, so we can usually only offer GFast broadband technology to homes and businesses that are close to their serving exchange.

Over 2.8m premises in the UK can get GFast Fibre broadband from service providers including BT, EE, Sky and Zen. At the moment, we don’t plan to build any new GFast capabilities, as we’re committed to rolling out our new Ultrafast Full Fibre network across the country.

Neil

Message 15 of 28

Go to solution

@NeilO 

That's a bit misleading from Openreach as distance from the exchange has no impact. It is still governed by distance from the cabinet.

Message 16 of 28

Go to solution

Does anyone know how close you need to be to the exchange to get G.Fast? I’m just over half a mile from mine. 

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 28

Go to solution

Did you not read @pippincp post? Distance from the exchange is irrelevant, G.Fast comes from the cabinet not the exchange.

The details from the checker that you posted shows you must be almost next to the cabinet and are capable of getting in excess of 200Mbps.

Message 18 of 28

Go to solution
Ah yes I did miss that, thanks. If untrue Any ideas why openreach would make a false statement like that?
0 Ratings
Message 19 of 28

Go to solution

I suspect it's easier to say exchange than explain what a cabinet is.

Message 20 of 28

Go to solution

Unless they now consider a cabinet to be a service exchange.