cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 28

Am I getting a better package?

Go to solution

I'm currently on fibre 2 but my contract is ending soon so I contacted BT to see if I could get a new package.

They offered me fibre 100 which they say is full fibre rather than the fibre 2 I currently have which is not.

I then said that if it's full fibre could I get rid of my phone line as I don't use it, but they said I still needed the phone line for my broadband to work.

Going from fibre 2 to fibre 1 sounds like a downgrade but the agent on the phone said that it wasn't because fibre 1 was full fibre. Yet it still needs a phone line? Can anyone explain why I would still need a phone line for full fibre to work?

0 Ratings
27 REPLIES 27
Message 2 of 28

Re: Am I getting a better package?

Go to solution

You aren't getting Fibre 1. Its Fibre 100 which will give you speeds of about 145/30. There is no need for a phone line.

Message 3 of 28

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply. As far as I know there are 4 broadband options with BT.

BT Fibre Essential, Fibre 1, Fibre 2 and Full Fibre (FTTP).

I've been told that I'm getting fibre 100 but that I still need my copper phone line. An engineer is coming next week to supply the service.

However, when I go onto the BT broadband checker and put my postcode in it says at the bottom:

FTTP is not available.

The exchange is not in a current fibre priority programme

WLR is currently available at the exchange

SOADSL is not restricted at the exchange

Does this mean they've given me incorrect information?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 28

Go to solution

can you post the information from dslchecker please

you can stop being able to make or receive call on your home phone but you still need 'a line' whether that is copper or fibre to provide your broadband connection  this is included in broadband only package price

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 5 of 28

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply. There's loads of info when I put my phone number in and do a search. Is there a particular section I need to post? Also, the page won't allow me to screenshot.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 28

Go to solution

Hi, @Tantalum it sounds like you might be getting G.fast if FTTP is not available. Is that mentioned on the checker results? 

G.fast uses FTTC technology and the existing copper line is still used to deliver the broadband. 

Thanks

Neil

Message 7 of 28

Go to solution

Thanks.

The only mention of G.Fast is at the top of the page under featured products:

VDSL Range A (Clean) help 80 72.4 20 19 66.9 Available - Available --
VDSL Range B (Impacted) help 80 69.8 20 19 62.5 Available  - Available --
G.fast Range A (Clean) help 247.1 182.7 36.8 16.5 158.9 Available - Available --
G.fast Range B (Impacted) help 204.5 144 25.2 12.2 127.4 Available - Available --
Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps)

Below that it mentions FTTP in this context but I'm still not sure what any of it means:

FTTP on Demand
33050--Available--

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 28

Go to solution

You will be getting G.Fast which still needs a copper line, but there is no need to have telephony. A small saving can be made by not having phone capability.

Message 9 of 28

Go to solution

Thanks. Do you know if G.Fast is as fast as full fibre?

If not, is it a temporary thing until full fibre is in my area?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 28

Go to solution

@Tantalum it's not as fast as FTTP but is very nippy if you're close to the cab. We're on G-Fast and get a rock solid 130mbps. It's so good that even when full fibre becomes available for us, I won't change until I have to.