cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 20

Re: Anyone else think that BT should not to raise prices by the full CPI + next year?

@Caz9797 wrote:

Correct which means there are a number of individuals and pension fund managers who can encourage a rethink. What this forum can do is help them decide to act.

And how do you propose to do that. This forum has at most a thousand users at any time and far less than that who are frequent active members.

Given that BT have in excess of 14 million customers the vast majority of which will no doubt be in a fixed term contract and will not move to another supplier and incur cancelations fees if the price increase does go ahead and do you honestly think that "individuals" who ever they may be,  and pension fund managers, who have a duty to increase their customers pension funds, will really be interested in encouraging a rethink.

Message 12 of 20

Re: Anyone else think that BT should not to raise prices by the full CPI + next year?

@Les-Gibson wrote:

Why they can't make it more readable by putting all the necessary information in one clause baffles me.

It's a binding contract which by definition is 100% necessary. To be fair, every time I've renewed my contract the agent has pointed out the prevailing provisions for price increases both before and since the implementation of CPI+.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Message 13 of 20

If I'm honest, I have fewer issues with the CPI increase as the added 3.9%. Where has that figure come from? It's basically more than anyone ever gets offered as a pay rise and yet BT just add it on on top of the 'cost of living' increase.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 20

@Arthur_Braynewrote:

If I'm honest, I have fewer issues with the CPI increase as the added 3.9%. Where has that figure come from? It's basically more than anyone ever gets offered as a pay rise and yet BT just add it on on top of the 'cost of living' increase.

I think CPI is a bigger consideration for most people, after all a CPI of (say) 1% plus 3.9% is a lot more affordable than a  CPI of (say) 10% plus 3.9%.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 20

That's true @Les-Gibson but at least that increase is based on something. The 3.9% seems an arbitrary figure added to boost BT's profits. If, say, CPI was -1%, we'd still be paying increased prices of 2.9% even though BT's costs haven't gone up.

Maybe that's a slightly naïve or simplistic view but I 've worked in places where any annual salary increase was based on CPI and in 2015 we didn't get a pay rise because CPI was, basically, 0% for much of the preceding year.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 20

@Arthur_Brayne 

If you check what other companies not just ISPs you will find similar annual increases from 3.9 or 3.7% so BT are just one of many 

It didn't seem bad when CPI was very low but not case now

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 17 of 20

@Arthur_Braynewrote:

If, say, CPI was -1%, we'd still be paying increased prices of 2.9% even though BT's costs haven't gone up.

I'm not sure that's altogether true, I seem to remember reading somewhere that even if CPI was negative the price increase would still be 3.9%. i.e. 3.9% is a minimum increase

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 20

@Les-Gibson wrote:
 ... I seem to remember reading somewhere that even if CPI was negative the price increase would still be 3.9%. i.e. 3.9% is a minimum increase

You don't need to rely on vague memories. Just look at the T&C, where clause 21b states, "If the CPI figure is negative in the relevant year we will only increase the charges by 3.9%."

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Message 19 of 20

@pottyperson 

Thanks for confirming that I remembered correctly

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 20

Totally agree with @Caz9797 on this. If the increase next year is as high as predicted then I'll see my contract out and then look to switch to whoever has the best deal and I suspect there is going to be an awful lot of end of contract churn.

I have no issue with BT workers taking action for better pay with the cost of living increases and more power to them but it will be a bit of a joke if BT are offering 5% pay increase to workers but are then going to put prices up 14% or more. It's not going to be a good look.

0 Ratings