cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

BT Default

I noticed a default from a closed account with BT for £64 on my credit file. I didnt receive any notice from BT and didnt know debt existed.
I raised a dispute with Equifax.  The debt occurred when I switched from BT to Vodafone, Vodafone failed to notify BT and BT carried on charging.
BT confirmed it was a switching error and my account wasnt closed down properly by BT (I have this in writing), now they have done a U-turn and say they have not made any error and refuse to delete default.

Can anyone help with this?

Thanks
0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: BT Default

@russco08 

This is just a customer to customer forum

The first thing you need to do is raise a dispute with either Equifax or Experian, depending on who the debt is with. You can do that at 

• Online at www.equifax.co.uk/ask
  • Call 0800 014 2955
  • Address – Equifax Ltd
    • Customer Service Centre
    • PO Box 10036
    • Leicester
    • LE3 4FS

or 

• Online at www.experian.co.uk
  • Call 0344 481 8000
  • Address - Experian Headquarters Talbot House
    • Talbot Street
    • Nottingham
    • N80 1TH

They'll then liaise with BT for you.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

I have already raised a dispute with Equifax and Experian, all they do is get in touch with BT and ask if the 

default is accurate.  So at the moment BT are still not prepared to say there has been an error on their part to remove it.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

OK, @russco08 , you've been in touch with BT, Equifax and Experian BUT have you also been in touch with Vodaphone? Both Vodaphone and BT should have ensured a smooth changeover without any niggles along the way.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

Hi Carlusha

Vodafone have reimbursed me for the £64 which in effect means they have made an error.  BT wont remove the default as they say nobody told them to cancel the account and its not their error.  Only BT can remove the default as they have raised it.  Dont know where to go with this.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

@russco08wrote:

Vodafone have reimbursed me for the £64 which in effect means they have made an error.  BT wont remove the default as they say nobody told them to cancel the account and its not their error.  Only BT can remove the default as they have raised it.  Dont know where to go with this.

Switching is gaining provider led, if Vodafone failed to inform BT then BT carried on charging you as they continued to provide the service and why you had to make a manual cease, which means you cancelled the direct debit early or failed to pay bills you were sent, from what you have said the bills are accurate but went unpaid.

This is why BT reported the debt, when it comes to credit files there is no goodwill, BT have a legal responsibility to correctly record defaults.
The correct cource of action would of been to pay the BT bill and reclaim later from Vodafone.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

I paid the debt as soon as I realised it existed, so basically I have paid for something I shouldnt have been billed for in the first place.  Vodafone have also compensated me.  BT informed me the working line takeover was not done correctly and it should have been done system to system and BT failed to close the account down.  However, they are still refusing to delete the default.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

@russco08wrote:

BT informed me the working line takeover was not done correctly and it should have been done system to system and BT failed to close the account down.  However, they are still refusing to delete the default.

Switching to another provider is gaining provider led, which means it's the responsibility of the new ISP to make sure the takeover goes smoothly, Vodafone would of realised this and refunded you, BT from what you stated haven't made an error, which means they were not aware you were switching, Vodafone have a habit of doing this and no doubt most of their customer base have a 2nd master socket as they do the provisions as new installs, rather than using the existing infrastructure.

I feel for you because the error is on Vodafones part but BT have a legal responsibility to record late payments accurately, there's no goodwill or compassion when it comes to legal duties.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

This is exactly my situation, I have not done anything wrong here so it doesnt feel like an accurate record going on my credit file which is why its a hard pill to swallow.  Can the Telecommunications Ombudsman override the decision and change the credit file in these type of situations.  

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

@russco08wrote:

Can the Telecommunications Ombudsman override the decision and change the credit file in these type of situations.  

No, although Vodafone messed up your switch, which is where your complaint lies, they've already refunded you and the Ombudsman can't instruct Vodafone to correct your credit file, it was recorded by BT who were not at fault.
The default is because BT billed you for a service they were providing and it was paid late, most likely you weren't expecting one because Vodafone gave you a start date but the fact remains the BT bill went unpaid and was correctly recorded as late.

It's a legal issue which goodwill and compassion can't override, your credit file will be updated if you paid it and the debt marked 'satisfied', you shouldn't cancel a direct debit until a company issues you with a final bill and that is paid.