cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

BT won't close my account

Hello, 

When moving house I wanted to stay with BT however they could not provide Internet installation at my new address for 3 weeks which wouldn't work for me due to working from home. 

I called on the 9th of March to cancel my services and they confirmed this was the case. 

I received my bag to post back the router but also received numerous emails and texts about an engineer visit that was upcoming. I called 3 times to cancel the engineer and they stated it would be. 

On the day the engineer was due I called again due to the amount of emails reminders. The customer service worker explained they couldn't cancel the visit but to turn him away and call back the following day to confirm account closure. 

I called back two days later (today) and was informed my account is still not closed and cannot be until tomorrow afternoon. 

I have since paid a bill I shouldn't have and have had no acknowledgement of this despite trying to address it. 

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT won't close my account

@meganhudson 

This is just a customer to customer help forum, everyone here, including myself, are just customers.

The only BT Employees are the forum moderators.

Try calling 0330 1234 150

If BT could not provide service at your new address, why would they send someone to visit you?

What sort of Internet connection do you now have, if its not via Openreach?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Thank you for your reply. 

The engineer was booked in advance of moving home however another provider was able to do same day installation. I was assured the engineer was cancelled when I called to cancel my services. 

I have called that number now many many times with no help from any customer service advisors who claim what I'm asking to do is not currently possible on their system.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

@meganhudson 

If the other provider uses Openreach, then BT Retail could have provided service at your address. The fact that you could not wait, is not BTs fault.

Were you out of contract with BT when you moved, if not, then its possible you are being billed for the cancellation charge?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Yes I haven't said it is BTs fault I needed it sooner.

What is BTs fault is I cancelled my services, had confirmation of the cancellation and yet they never cancelled or closed my account.

No I have a balance to pay however every bill that comes following should be taken off the balance as I cancelled it.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

The account would not be closed until all outstanding amounts have been paid. You would then receive a final closing bill.

Its possible a moderator may be able to explain this better.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Cancelling an account requires 30 days notice.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Hi @meganhudson, sorry you're account has not closed off yet and your final statement issued. @rbz5416 is correct about the 30 days notice to close your account from the 9th March but it is most likely due to the date you were given for connection at your new address before the order was cancelled that is causing the delay with your final statement. 

I've sent you a Private Message so you can get in touch with the Mod team and we'll be happy to look into this for you to ensure the account is closed.

Cheers

John

0 Ratings