cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

Broadband Fibre2 order cancelled twice

Go to solution

I decided to join BT for a broadband only deal by signing up on the web and placing an order on the 9th Feb. All went ok but in the morning it was auto cancelled. I spoke with BT agent on the 10th Feb who was unable to explain why but advised that some kind of verification code needed to be added to the order and I spoke with the sales team and they stated that all would be good as there was no claim to the line from anyone. Later during the day I checked my "my bt" app and saw that it had also been cancelled so I rang again and they were unhelpful in that they do not know why but the "system" says they will action it again Saturday after 3pm and I do not need to do anything. I am wondering what the real problem is as I have a sneaky suspicion that this will not be resolved and I am fed up being bounced around. Can anyone help with some guidance or words of wisdom please ....thanks

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: Broadband Fibre2 order cancelled twice

Go to solution

What is the current situation, are you a currently a customer of another ISP that uses Openreach and want a separate BT service in addition, are you wanting to replace your existing OR based service with BT , or you have no current Openreach based service in the property, but someone else may have service.

Is there any possibility of the address causing confusion, often people who live in ‘flats’ where the address is vague ( top floor flat , basement flat , that type of thing ) the address cannot be matched , or notification is sent to a neighbour who ( obviously ) gets the order stopped as it would interfere with their services.

If you are moving into a property and the previous occupant has already contacted their provider to cease their service , it’s possible that whatever date they asked for ( which may be after the date you want service to start ) will have to be reached before your order can be raised,  so ( for example ) , if the previous occupants said cease my service on 28 Feb , even if they moved out earlier than this , and you want your service to start on 14 Feb, you will have to wait , their order is already in the system, yours will fail until their cease has completed 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

Hi,

I moved into the property on the 27th Jan and it had been vacant since around October last year. From what I can gather the previous tenant did not have broadband only a phone line and as it is a retirement property I think the old tenant might have gone in to care so I doubt would have needed another phone at a new address.

When I moved in I originally ordered TalkTalk and that went live on the 1st Feb and broadband was working at good speeds up and till the 9th Feb although their app kept advising that openreach could not complete the order all during that period . They cut me off on the 9th Feb and I wasted over 2hours trying to find out what was going on and no one could tell me anything other than I needed to apply all over again. There advisors were so poor I decided to leave them and join BT.

It seems though that the openreach problem must be still there and hence my orders with BT have also been cancelled . What is most frustrating is that no one tells you unless you check your order status and non one can identify what exactly needs sorting out first to get the order to work.

What is weird is I know the line can take broadband as I said earlier it worked for 9days with talktalk. I have phoned talktalk and they have confirmed my cancellation and BT have said there is no claim to the line.

PS One other thing is that the master socket in this flat is very old and is not the new style with a user test socket behind the front plate. This is a square small one that looks like an extension box but it is definitely the master and there are no extensions anywhere. I would imagine it should be upgraded but I we know it worked fine for 9 days ! I wonder if Openreach need a newer one to allow their own diagnostics. Even so I had previously mentioned this and no one has said anything.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

If you cancelled with TalkTalk & then placed an order with BT, that would likely explain it. That would have ceased the line on the date of cancellation & I believe "locked" the line for the next 14 days. So you may need to place another order once that 14 days has elapsed.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution
What type of retirement home , is it a standard dwelling ( house , bungalow etc ) or a part of a retirement development, so effectively apartments with a common entrance etc or some sort of building that has managed services ?
If it’s a retirement complex, sometimes it’s the case that those ordering services in these type of buildings either incorrectly enter the apartment number , or omit the apartment number completely , those orders are muddled through but leave incomplete or incorrect address data , so selecting the correct address can be tricky, if the wrong address is selected and a ‘sorry to see you leave’ message is sent to someone else in the same development, they inform their provider that they never asked for anything, and that ISP cancel the order your ISP made ( it’s a safeguard against slamming )
How did you raise your order , on line , so you selected the address yourself, or by phone and speaking to an advisor ?.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

Thanks for your reply,

I did tell BT on more than one occasion to different advisors the full story that I had cancelled talktalk and no one has suggested that the account would be locked for 14 days and they did say that there was no claim to the line as well in fact they said it would automatically re-new the last order that was cancelled...we shall see !

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

orders were all correctly confirmed 3 orders (1 talktalk, 2 BT) were done online and the third by phone with the right address and this building has other customers using BT already.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

Orders being confirmed is not really the issue , assuming the address you pick is correct, the background checks identify that the line is already in use , that could be because someone else has incorrect data in the system

An example ,Mrs Smith is  customer in flat 1 , prefers flat 2 so when it becomes vacant arranges a local move  into flat 2, but the ‘phone’ order never done correctly , the data still shows her in flat 1 , but she lives in flat 2,

someone new  moves into the now vacant flat 1 , orders service from a provider, it may even be the same provider as Mrs Smith , the background system still shows Mrs Smith in flat 1  , so  she gets a letter or email from her provider saying someone wants to take her service over , it doesn’t necessarily say the flat number , or even if it does , it makes no difference she is worried her service will stop so she calls her provider and says ‘I never asked for this , get this order cancelled ’ her provider cancels the order for flat 1 from whatever company raised it , the new occupant of flat 1  wonders why their  order has been cancelled if the flat was empty and they definitely picked the correct flat, raises a new order, Mrs Smith gets a second letter/email , responds in the same way , although a little frustrated thinks they have already told them this already.

Its not just you picking the correct or incorrect address that can cause orders to fail.

As I said , I’m not saying this is the issue , just that multiple dwelling units can be complicated, and it’s not necessarily obvious why orders are cancelled, as with many ‘complaints’ posted on here , the details are not offered initially, but when asking questions, it soon becomes clear that it’s not as simple as they imply.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

appreciate what you are saying....

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

Hi @zimmer4me

Welcome and thanks for posting.

I am sorry for the problems with your order and for the confusion this has caused.  We'll be able to check what's causing the cancellation of the orders and put this right for you.

I have sent you a private message with instructions on how you can send us over your details and we'll look into this for you. See: Private messages

Thanks,

Robbie

0 Ratings