cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 14

Re: Broadband for my in-laws

@milleniumaire you may have missed the bit at the bottom of my previous post but do they qualify for this? https://www.bt.com/broadband/home-essentials

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 14

Thanks @jac_95 , you are correct, I hadn't noticed this link.

Unfortunately, my in-laws are part of the growing number of pensioners who don't qualify for any type of government help/relief and have to use their life savings/investments/pension income to pay for the care they now need.

So, while they are reasonable well off, all of their income is now being used to enable them to live in their home as they have both been suffering from dementia for a number of years now and can no longer look after themselves.

The reason for wanting to install a door camera is because a couple of days ago one of the carers intercepted a young man knocking on their door and he explained they had agreed to him doing an energy performance inspection.  It turns out "his" company had called them earlier in the day.

So, despite their landline number being ex-directory and listed with TPS, and a clear sign on their door requesting that door to door salesman should not bother them, this young man ignored all of that and was about to get access and no doubt talk some frail 90 year olds into signing up for something they didn't need.

It would appear that while on the surface it looks perfect, the Home Essentials package provided by BT isn't aimed at pensioners like my in-laws, but thanks for brining it to my attention.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 14

@milleniumaire just one more thing to note and make you aware of which will even cover those with no broadband but a phone service today is that everyone is moving to VoIP based voice service (being done by all providers be that Sky, TalkTalk, Virgin Media O2, BT, ect...) and there's some things you need to be aware of so you can prepare for the change. Especially if there's a care alarm, or other devices connected to the copper phone line today. Hopefully https://landlinesgo.digital details all those things.

There's more information specially to BT's own Digital Voice in the FAQs at https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-phone-including-Digital/Digital-Voice-FAQs/td-p/2207485

Message 14 of 14

@jac_95  thanks for the info.

This somewhat coincides with some of my research this afternoon, looking into the possibility of using a SIM based wireless router, as for around £10 per month it's possible to get 100GB of data.  Not too sure at this stage if that would be enough for the Ring Doorbell.  Also, I'm not quite sure if this would also allow the use of a VOIP phone so that they could get rid of their line rental completely.  They only tend to receive calls as they aren't capable of making them.

0 Ratings