cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 17

Re: Broadband speeds

Yes, I believe you are right. Yesterday I got a message from BT to book a 5th engineer visit because BT can see that I am not getting my 100mb. Confused,  I rang and finally got to speak to someone who delved a bit deeper and asked me to read out my hub technical log. He confirmed I am on an 80 /20 line. He could see that Openreach have it recorded as an 80/20 line (as per what the engineers have told me) but BT have it on their records as a GFAST line.  That is why they are so adamant that I can get better speeds and sold me the more expensive package. I was stuck in a loop whereby Bt tell OpenReach my speeds are slow, they test, see 74mbps which is absolutely fine for an 80/20 so they close the fault. BT would then test it would be too slow for my contract and off we'd go again! 

Not easy to resolve. At the moment I have a new contract for fibre 200 which means BT will put my line to 80/20 on their records then when this has changed I can upgrade back to my Fibre100 with Halo 3.  This will give the right type of instruction to Openreach who will then come and change my line so it runs through the GFAST box and I should then be on a 160/30 line and get the speed I am paying for.

Well that is my understanding in layman's terms.  Thank you passing me to a moderator they have been in touch prior to the possible solutionand hopefully he will still be able to follow this up. 

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 17

As FTTC can only provide 80Mb , then any service offering 100Mb has to either be Gfast or FTTP , AFAIK, if you get Gfast , it’s not a self install , it needs an engineer visit to optimise the internal setup ,  possibly with a service specific NTE or at least checking that the internal setup is not going to impact the speed , did you get ever get an engineer visit when you ordered the broadband service  ?

It would appear that physically you are on an ordinary FTTC VDSL connection ( upto 80Mb ) but for whatever reason you are being billed as if you were a Gfast customer….when you orders this , did you ask for  a Gfast connection or a regular FTTC connection, if you don’t really know , and only ordered on the predicted speed you were told , was it a 100Mb connection or was it was it only when the bill arrived you thought why am  I not getting the speed it says I should get on the bill ?

What £££ are you paying , is it what you would expect to pay for the Gfast 100Mb or the FTTC Fibre 2 ( 80Mb ) price ?

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 17

I renewed my contract at the end of January 22 I was already a halo customer and they offered me this as the new faster version of what I already had.  I knew the new package was  Fibre 100 plus Halo 3 so the price I paid was inline for what I was expecting.No engineer attended when I renewed although they sent  a smart hub 2 to replace the smart hub 2 I already had as they said that was necessary in order to access my new faster package. I got the new hub and connected it, tested the speed it, was 74mbps but I know in the past I have been told to wait about 10 days for the  speed to be reached.  My query regarding speeds was raised 15th Feb and has continued ever since. As far as I am concerned I am paying for Fibre 100 and Halo 3 and I am not, and never have, had those speeds. No money for this stay fast guarantee because 30 days starts again each time they say it is fixed and I say it isn't.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 17

If your account is going to be regraded to Fibre 2 , ( not 200 ) then this obviously will have no actual effect on speed , it’s simply an administrative ploy  so the billing records match what you actually physically  have, namely F2, presumably they will try to regrade you again onto F100 ( Gfast ) which probably should have an engineer home visit ( as well as an engineer visit to the Gfast cabinet ) and when completed deliver better than 80Mb.

If this is successful, then you should be able to negotiate compensation   If you have been paying for F100 while not even connected to the Gfast cabinet, then at a minimum you would expect to be refunded the difference between F2 and F100 , for the time you were paying for F100 but still on F2, and then possibly some sort of goodwill payment for the aggravation, I don’t know if you can get the stayfast guarantee payment as you were never connected to Gfast, so obviously 100Mb isn’t possible on an 80Mb system, and the engineer reports will say no faults ( as far as they are concerned being in the wrong tariff isn’t an Openreach fault ) but you could ask for the the goodwill payment to be similar to what you would have been entitled to if you were on Gfast and it wasn’t performing as it should and Openreach had to fix something to get the required Gfast speed 

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 17

Thanks for your thoughts. As you say we have to see if this will successful. I appreciate the move to Fibre 2 doesn't change the speed but believe that when they upgrade me to F100 this will give the option for them to organise a visit to me and the box. Currently seems that is not an option on their system as I appeared as already on GFast . Fingers crossed.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 17

Just wait for the mods to get in touch, they will sort it.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 17

@remmie 

Do exactly as @licquorice says.

Wait for the mods to sort it , it's something they are really very,very good at. Probably best that they handle it from now on as any further contact that you have with Customer Services may confuse things.