cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Can you get BT Home Essentials if you're on Working Tax Credits ?

Have tried to sign up for this package but it says I don't qualify, the reason seems to be because I haven't as yet been moved onto Universal Credit, I still get some legacy benefits.

Can you get BT Home Essentials if you're on Working Tax Credits and Council Tax Reduction Scheme ?

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Can you get BT Home Essentials if you're on Working Tax Credits ?

Message 3 of 11

The links you posted do not mention working tax credits, I've been informed by DWP that I will be moved to Universal Credit at some point in the future, however they can't give me a date when this will happen. Is it not possible to get the Home Essentials deal while I'm on a legacy benefit, i.e Working Tax Credits ?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

No you can't hence why it's not mentioned in the criteria

Message 5 of 11

Totally unfair that people like myself on legacy benefits can't get this. Oh well BT's loss, I will be cancelling my phone service with them later today.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

• @SteveDaviesUK wrote:

Totally unfair that people like myself on legacy benefits can't get this. Oh well BT's loss, I will be cancelling my phone service with them later today.

There has to be criteria for who and what benefits can claim. It is not BT's fault your benefits do not meet the criteria or that you have not been updated to a newer benefit.

I doubt BT would even notice if you cancelled. It is obviously your choice but remember if you are in contract you will be paying cancellation fees. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

Not in contract, so can cancel without problems.

Can see why BT is doing so badly if it doesn't care if it loses customers.

Wake up and smell the coffee BT, you are no longer a monopoly, so get your act together and start treating people in a honest and fair way.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

Do other providers have different criteria? Do they even offer the service at all?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

Just in case you are not aware this is a BT residential customer to customer forum. Your post does not go to BT. 

When you change providers please post back with the name of the provider and if you got a "social" package along with what criteria they used.

Message 10 of 11

I have done a check and found that 20 ISPs offer a "Social" tariff. Of that 20 there are 5 main stream providers one of which is BT the remaining 15 are small providers who do not cover the whole country.

To qualify they all have the same criteria as BT.

As I said, please keep us updated how you get on.