cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Cancel Grandparent's Broadband/Phone subscriptions - Compassionate Reasons

Hello all, I'm hoping someone can advise me on what I can do. 

My grandfather (who is the Bill Payer / Account holder for BT subscriptions) has recently taking ill and has now been moved into a care home full-time. He has approx. 13 months left on his BT contract. 

Due to the expenses related to his care home, and reviewing his finance's, I'm trying to cancel his account however due to the circumstances of his current position, I was hoping BT won't feel the need to charge him for the remaining months left on his contract. 

It was difficult calling BT for advice as seeing I'm not the account holder, they were vague in their advice. I tried to reassure BT that we didn't need to discuss my grandfather account if they felt it would be a security breach, but even still, because I wasn't tye account holder I felt the person I was speaking to wanted to end the call quickly and I still don't know what to do. 

Given my grandfather is 91 years old, no longer mentally sound enough to speak on the phone to BT to confirm details, I'm at a bit of a loss what to do. 

We simply want to cancel my grandfather account/leave BT without him receiving a hefty bill. 

Any help would be appreciated.

James 

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Cancel Grandparent's Broadband/Phone subscriptions - Compassionate Reasons

I suspect the first thing you will need to do is to get Power of Attorney for your grandfather. Once that is in place you will then be able to act on behalf of your grandfather and BT will be able to deal directly with you.

See link about PoA.

Putting you first: Financial support (bt.com)

As regards cancelling his account without penalty is not routinely done by BT and it may be something that would need to be discussed with BT and this would require you to have POA.

Having said all that I have notified the moderators of the forum about your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help or at the very least give you advice regarding what needs to be done.

They are very busy at present so it can take up to 48 hours for them to contact you. They will do this by posting on this thread.  

Message 3 of 5

Hi @JimmyJimbob

Welcome and thanks for your post!

I am sorry to see that your Grandfather has taken ill.  I understand that he has now moved to a care home full time.  We'll be able to pick this up.  I have sent you a private message with instructions on how you can send us over your details and we'll look into this for you. See: Private messages

Thanks,

Robbie

Message 4 of 5

Thank you,

I've just replied to your private message. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Thank you,

I've now been contacted by the moderator who will progress this. Really appreciate your advice. His daughter / my mother in law is his power of attorney and has been the past fe years so I will make this known as my case progresses. 

Many thanks for the advice and flagging my post to the moderators. Certainly helped. 

James

0 Ratings