cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Cancellation Charge when somebody moves to a care home

Good Afternoon,

My mother in law has had to move into a care home due to failing health.   My wife who has power of attorney has just phoned BT to cancel the phone line as her house is being sold to be told that as her mother renewed her contract in March 2023, the contract would need to be paid in full and wants to charge £331 to do so.

In her care home she does not need a phone or broadband.

I know this is standard BT contract conditions but surely when somebody has had to move into a care home due to ill health there should be there should be some latitude to waive the cancellation fee. We been able to cancel my mother in law's Council Tax, Electricity, etc, with immediate effect, and with no termination charges.  

Please advise if this is possible to waive the cancellation as her failing health was not an issue when she renewed.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Robin A.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Cancellation Charge when somebody moves to a care home

@RobinBarton 

This is just a customer to customer help forum, everyone here, including myself, are just customers.

The only BT Employees are the forum moderators.

I have asked one of them to post here.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Thank you Keith

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Hi @RobinBarton sorry to hear your mum in-law is in poor health. 

Has the account been closed already?
Do you or another family member have power of attorney to act on her behalf? If so has it been sent to BT?
Cheers

John

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Hi @JohnC2 

My wife had to close the account today as the house completes tomorrow and she was not given any option by customer service.

My wife has power of attorney with her brother and as far as she is aware it has not been shared with BT.

Cheers,

Robin

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Hi Robin, thanks for getting back to me. 

Please ask them to send the POA to POA@bt.com as per What Power of Attorney (PoA) does BT accept? | BT Help and if you provide us their details we will be happy to help them resolve this.

I've sent you a Private Message so you can get in touch with the Mod team but please ensure that they've sent the POA first so we can deal directly with the appointee.

Cheers

John

0 Ratings