cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Default on credit file

Hello, 

I am wondering if anyone can help.

I have a default on my Experian credit file for £11 for BT saying it was defaulted in Oct 2019 for a property I sold in Dec 2016.  I paid my last bill in Dec 2016 and had a final bill in Jan 2017.  No other correspondence from BT.  I have called BT and they have no information to give me, I said that surely you should have something if you say I owe £11.  I have contacted Experian but heard nothing yet.  Obviously this is affecting my credit and I want to get my mortgage sorted.  How do I get this matter resolved quickly please?  Very stressed! and upset with this.  

Please any help with getting this removed from my credit file and also an explanation as to what has happened would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Default on credit file

@Holzroberts 

The first thing you need to do is raise a dispute with either Equifax or Experian, depending on who the debt is with. You can do that at 

• Online at www.equifax.co.uk/ask
  • Call 0800 014 2955
  • Address – Equifax Ltd
    • Customer Service Centre
    • PO Box 10036
    • Leicester
    • LE3 4FS

or 

• Online at www.experian.co.uk
  • Call 0344 481 8000
  • Address - Experian Headquarters Talbot House
    • Talbot Street
    • Nottingham
    • N80 1TH

They'll then liaise with BT for you.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

I have disputed it with Experian. Not had a response yet. 😞

I'm probably being impatient. 

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Still no update.  Does anyone know how long this process takes please?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

@Keith_Beddoe 

I have had Experian say that BT have agreed its and error and removed it and Equifax has said the opposite.  I don't have a clue what to do and just need to speak to BT to find out if this £11 is there and why I have had a bill or anything.  How can I settle it if I don't know what it is and when I call they don't have anything so I can't even pay it if I wanted to.

Please help!!

0 Ratings