cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 23

FTTP Installation delays

After years of waiting for fibre in our rural area the network was installed and ducting was run to the edge of our property but stopped 28 metres away from the existing BT duct leading into our property. On the 3rd December 2022 I placed an order for fibre and was give an installation date of 30th December. No-one appeared and no contact was made. I chased this up and was given a new date of the 16th Jan for an AM visit. Eventually an engineer appeared at 16:30 and said he couldn't do anything as he needed a hoist, on questioning his he said he need to run the fibre from a pole across the road. I pointed out this was an 11Kv electricity pole and he then said he had no information about the job!

I chased BT again and was told there will have to be a review. An engineer visited out of the blue on the 26th Jan and said they would need to extend the duct to meet with the existing duct into the house. This would need traffic lights and a civil team.

Every week since then I have been told by BT there is nothing they can do as they are waiting for Openreach. Each week the response from Openreach is that there will be a review the following week, next review is 8th March.

I contacted BT twice last week and on each occasion I was told they would escalate it with Openreach and I would be contacted in 48Hrs. Guess what? No contact!!

What can I do, BT say they can't help as it is an Openreach problem and they will pay compensation which is now 63 days worth. This is not the point, I require the service as we have 2Mbs copper broadband or 4G which is limited.

Customer service is appalling I can get no installation date. I am going to take it up with the Communication Ombudsman on Monday but I assume this will take ages. What course of action do I have?

0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23

Re: FTTP Installation delays

@GJMAC 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Retail phone and broadband customers.

There is nothing BT Retail can do about the progress of your broadband order if its an Openreach problem.

I assume this is a residential order and not a business one?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 23

So I just have to sit and wait whilst BT plays Groundhog Day and each week gives a review date for the following week!!!

Surely Openreach is wholly owned subsidiary of BT?

Yes I am a residential customer. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 23

Hi @GJMAC, welcome to the forum and sorry your installation has been delayed.

When traffic management is needed delays can result in no meaningful updates until it's in place. I've sent you a Private Message so you can get in touch with the Mod team. We'll check for the latest update and ensure that the Full Fibre team are dealing with your order and updates.

Cheers

John

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 23

BT Retail have no control over Openreach, who are a separate company that provides the infrastructure for lots of providers. BT Retail is not allowed to be given any priority.

https://www.openreach.com/about

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 23

So it is totally pointless when BT say they will escalate it with Openreach. Hence the reason I fail to get the promised call back from Openreach within 48 hours!

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 23

You will never get a call back from Openreach, as they do not deal with end users only Service Providers.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 23

Thanks. Perhaps BT should tell their staff this so when you speak to them they don't make false promises!

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 23

Sent a PM, thanks 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 23

i had a delay in install...i got compensation for every day from the agreed installation date to the date it was actually installed....something like £5 per day...got over £200...complained directly to BT online.

0 Ratings