cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

How to move provider

Go to solution

Hi, apologies if this is a common question - if I want to change provider but want to use a separate VOIP service, how do I do that?

ie as BT don't provide full-fibre in my (rural) area, I want to cancel BT, plus start a contract with 1) the only full-fibre provider in my area and also 2) a separate VOIP provider.

EDIT: I meant to add that I need to keep my existing phone number!

thanks for any help

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: How to move provider

Go to solution

@Weareacc 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Retail phone and broadband customers.

You  place a broadband only order with your new provider. Once that is working, then you then have to find a suitable VOIP provider.

As your new provider will not be using the Openreach network, you will have to let BT know you want to cease your service.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks, the ony part i'm concerned about is keeping my existing phone number.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

That will be extremely unlikely if moving to a third party VoIP provider. You need to talk to a provider to find out if it is possible.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

This  is a question for the gaining provider not the losing provider, basically it’s upto whoever you decide to use to arrange what you want , if they do that correctly then your phone number will be ported , if they do it incorrectly it won’t be.

If you take FTTP from an Alt Net and they don’t supply any telephony with it ,then  your Openreach service should not change , if you sign up with a VoIP provider and they arrange the port of  your phone number from BT to themselves, and do this correctly,  then your BT service with be ceased as a consequence of the number moving to the VoIP provider,

BT in this situation are reactive to the actions of others  , not proactive.

Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Thank you, much appreciated - due to the unknown quantity of the new provider I will simplify the process by taking the VOIP that they bundle. I daren't take the risk of losing my (business) number.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

Not sure how that will help, it will still be a number port to a different provider. Whether your new broadband supplier or third party VoIP provider, the risk will still be the same.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

I daren't take the risk of losing my (business) number.

I assume you must be a BT Business user? This is the residential customer forum.

The chance of retaining your number when you move to another provider is very low as @licquorice  has pointed out.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

Nope, residential. Number porting is a tickable option with the FTTP provider when choosing VOIP, which definitely simplifies things.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Number porting is a tickable option when including the VOIP package with FTTP - a one-step process is certainly simpler than the two-step alternative.

0 Ratings