cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Leaving BT service cease/port number

Go to solution

I’ve signed up with another provider and leaving BT. The new provider arranged to port my number and cancel bb with BT. I’ve had a cancel confirmation email weeks ago from BT.  Due to a delay the new service hasn’t gone live and the date BT said their service would end has passed, BT is still working. Is this normal and due to the new service provider not being live or is something wrong at BT? BT have billed me another month. 

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Leaving BT service cease/port number

Go to solution

Would you have preferred to be without service ?,  your new provider has not delivered on the agreed date , if BT cut you off on the agreed date  , then thats where you would be.

If you are switching to another provider that uses Openreach , then the two orders can be linked , so a delay to the provide can delay the cease ,  you pay for the extra days you are with your old provider , your new provider shouldn’t start charging until they actually take the line over.

If you are using a different network provider ( like Virgin or one of the many new network provider entrants into the market ) then there isn’t necessarily a link between the cease and provide, and if your BT service hasn’t gone off yet, it could do anytime after the date you ( or your new provider) asked for it to be ceased.

Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

Hi @nobby1963,

Thank you for posting. What @iniltous has said is correct. 

When a line is moved to another provider it's done through a process called a working line transfer. If the provide order is delayed, this will usually delay the ceases as well. This means that the customer will have working service while the transfer is completed.

Thanks,

Paddy

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

I thought it was odd as the new service is on the City Fibre network. I’ll keep quiet for now. Just hope I don’t lose the landline number. 

0 Ratings