cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Leaving BT

Go to solution

Hi,

For financial reasons I am leaving BT. I have a new contract with Vodafone which is due to start on March 21st.

My existing contract with BT ends on March 16th.

I just wondered what happens for the few days in-between?

Regards,

Paul

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Leaving BT

Go to solution

If Vodafone are not taking over your line until 21st March you will continue with BT on a rolling 30 day contract.

You will be charged a month's rental at the full rate which may be higher than you pay now if you have any discounts.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Hi @pebbleridge13 

Are you getting confused with minimum term and contract. Your contract continues after the minimum term is completed. The way switching works is all you have to do is leave everything to Vodafone. They will inform BT so your service gets switched over on the same day (March 21st).

Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

Hi,

Thanks for the clarification.

Will the extra period be charged pro-rata or will I be charged for a full month as gg30340 says.

Regards,

Paul

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Hi @pebbleridge13,

The best place to check to see what charges you would get is Cancellation charges

Exceptions to the 30-day minimum notice period

If you're switching to another provider through the standard process (you contact your new service provider and they notify us), the notice period will be 14 days.

Thanks
DanielS

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Hi DanielS,

Thanks for that additional information.

One other question regarding the "standard process" if you don't mind:-

Does the new provider give BT the 14 days notice, or is that down to me?

Regards,

Paul

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

Do not contact BT, your new provider does everything. Contacting BT will just confuse matters.

Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

@pebbleridge13wrote:

Does the new provider give BT the 14 days notice, or is that down to me?

Hi @pebbleridge13 

As long as Vodafone use the Openreach network (which I believe they do), they handle everything for you. Whatever you do don't tell BT you are leaving, it messes up the entire switching process.

You will know that Vodafone have notified BT that you are leaving, because BT will send you an email telling you that somebody is taking over your line and give you the opportunity to cancel the transfer.

Also expect a telephone call from BT trying to entice you back. This happened to me recently and I was offered I lower price than the ISP I was moving to, so I stayed with BT.

Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

THANKS GUYS     😊

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Hi,

Just a quick update.

My changeover to Vodafone went very smoothly with no hiccups.

I've had a final bill from BT which includes credit for the part month from the switch over, so all good there too.

Thank you all for your help.

Regards,

Paul

0 Ratings