cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Moved house

My son has moved into a new apartment and the prev tenant has not cancelled the phone line.

BT are saying there is nothing  they can do to get him broadband as the prev tenant owns the line.

What can he do BT have said they have never had this situation before - surely they have

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Moved house

@helwiz 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Residential phone and broadband customers.

That should not present a problem, as when he places an order with BT, the previous tenant will be told that someone wants to takeover their line.

They have 10 days to contact their provider, to cancel the takeover. If they do not, then BT will takeover the line.

There will just be a delay while that process is followed.

Message 3 of 9

Apparently the prev owner was contacted and they said no to the line being taken over 

they don’t live their anymore

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

@helwiz 

I expect that the previous owner did not understand what was asked, and may have assumed it was their new line at their current address.

I would be surprised, as they would be still paying for the service at their old apartment.

Is this a private apartment, or is it rented from a landlord?

Does it have an optical fibre feed, or is it just copper wires?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

The other option is for him to order an additional connection in his name, instead of taking over the existing connection. It may take a bit longer, but it could be the only way.

Message 6 of 9

But why is the previous owner being contacted? It's all done in the system automatically, unless you mean they've received comms stating someone wants to take over the line & blocked it not realising what it was

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

My son contacted BT to get internet installed. BT contacted the prev owner who still has ownership of the line to say the new owner my son wanted to take over the line.

They responded with no that they were keeping the line?????? No idea why obvs don't understand maybe they think my son wants their phone number. So anyway he can't have internet installed by any provider as he doesnt own the line into the propety.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

If previous owner/tenant won't release the line then why not try connecting a router and see if you get internet connection and if so get free internet until they realise they are paying for their old home broadband

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 9 of 9

As @Keith_Beddoe said, just order a new line and let the other idiot continue paying for something he can't use.

0 Ratings