cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Moving home

Go to solution

Hi, I’m moving home this month , and the apartment comes with internet in the rent cost.

I’ve checked the postcode on the BT site and it says “Sorry, we can't find results for your address at the moment We're updating our systems and we hope this will be fixed soon.”

I’m assuming this means I won’t be able to get services, what would happen with the contract?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Moving home

Go to solution

@Dan_Kennedy

You must use the BT Home Move process. If the Home Move Team confirm that there is no Openreach connection possible at your new address, then they can inform the billing team that BT cannot provide any service at your new address, and they should allow cancellation of your contract without penalty.

https://www.bt.com/manage/moving-home/

It may be that the apartment complex has an exclusive agreement with an alternative network provider and has not allowed Openreach access to the building.

Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Hi Keith, thanks for this , appreciate it.

I followed your advice, but the website said there’s an open order, so I need to call customer services (there isn’t an open order, it’s an error).

Customer services just told me I can’t do anything with the move yet, as it’s not classed as a ‘gold postcode’. The man was quite unhelpful, and said I need to go back to the construction company of the building.

I’m at a bit of a loss, he was adamant that BT will 100% be able to provide services, and I must continue to pay in full.

But at this stage, I’m not sure how he can be so certain.

he said I wasn’t even able to change my address in the meantime, so the service will continue at my old house.

Feel like I had an advisor who wasn’t haven’t a great day!

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

have you asked the landlord of new home which ISP provides the internet and/or you could ask some of existing tenants. if ISP that uses openreach then you probably get cancellation charges if BT are able to supply service but not permitted by landlord

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

@Dan_Kennedy 

It could be that the landlord is waiting for a connection. If the  landlord is including the cost in your rent, then unless you can agree with your landlord to have your own connection, then you are going to end up with cancellation charges. How much longer has your existing contract got to run?

0 Ratings