cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Moving to EE

Go to solution

Has anyone moved their broadband package from BT to EE successfully/happily?  I am currently on fibre 900, having just renewed my contract May 2023 and have seen mixed signals on the forums on cancellation fees.  Provided there is no penalty I am keen to go to 1.6, is switchover just a matter of a new router?  I'm assuming I will need to go through BT rather than sign up with EE?

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Moving to EE

Go to solution

There shouldn't be a cancellation fee for moving from BT to EE (but some customers have seen one added to account that needed to then be removed)

If moving to the up to 1.6Gbps package, only available in certain areas. You may also require an engineer visit as they may need to upgrade your ONT to one that supports this service. E.g upgraded to a Nokia G-010G-T or ADTRAN SDX 611Q ONT 

Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

Out of interest what are you going to be doing with a 1.6g connection that you can not presently do on a 900Mbps connection or even on your previous 500Mbps connection?

Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

Nothing! ‌😀‌ But I have a landline that I don't use so I can ditch that and get roughly the same price, I hope!

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution
1.6 is available for me. All I can see on the ONT is openreacvh so don't know what model it is. So presumably just a change of box?
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

So basically you are prepared to pay a lot of money for something that you don't need. 

Your choice of course but I'm sure many would rather have the money in their pocket to spend on something they do need than be caught up in the ISP's hype about speeds.

Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

You're right of course, most home users have no need of that speed.  I might have to stay at 900 anyway, looking at EE's deals I don't see any bargains, similar or more expensive than my current package.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

Please be aware that the 1.6gbps speed tier is still on a trial until at least the end of Feb(Which of course can be extended again). Some users found out the hard way just what being in a trial means, and they were not fully aware that it was still in a trial phase:

BT broadband full WiFi transfer to EE 1.6gbps - The EE Community

So patience in this stuff always pays, plus if you wait for like another year there is a chance the new EE Wifi 7 router might be out then too, which will have a much better chance of delivering anything resembling 1gbps over wifi. Not to mention it should be a little cheaper by then as well. 😄

But yeah, even if you do get that speed... there is not much apart from Steam, Playstation/Xbox, Cloud downloads that can utilise all that. So if you live on your own, and you don't do any of those things... it's going to be a bit of a waste of money. Sorry to say that, but some people on the EE forum already regret it a bit because they see no day to day difference over their 900 connection.

So it's nice right now if you have like 20 kids all using the internet at the same time, and it will be nice in future when our data usage increases... but otherwise there really is just not much use for it right now. 😛

If you want to know how much bandwidth you really need, I would suggest to Google "How much bandwidth do you really need?" then clicking the "High Speed Internet" site calculator, which should be the 1st or 2nd result that pops up. You will be surprised.

Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

But if you want a story that started out in failure and ended in success, give this a read from beginning to end: 

Absolute shambles with move to EE from BT - BT Community

So there are some successes, but with it still being in a trial, it's a toss of the coin whether you will be successful or not right now with changing over to the tier.

Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

Surprised indeed!  All I need is 100Mbps!  If you max out all the questions it still only comes to 500!  Reckon 900 will do! 😁