cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

My fathers Account

Tried the normal online complaints procedure - useless wont send, luckily the third attempt I remembered to copy the message. So here goes!

Hello, I am raising this complaint as I think my father Cecil Gordon Headland aged 94 is getting a rough deal.
He relies on his land purely to receive calls from my sister and I to ensure his welfare as we both live a fair way from his address and can only visit once a week. He pays the Sherwood and District Council for emergency calls via his alarm button which he wears around his neck.
For several years now he has been on a weekend plan which he doesn't require at all and he makes very few calls at all. The phone is essentially for us to ring him.
There are also various 'add ons' with this plan which have never been activated.
My mother in law is on a basic plan and pays less than a half he does per quarter. So I rang your sales dept. to change to the basic plan. I was told it no longer exists and my father was on the cheapest tariff.
Clearly not, if someone else is getting the same service at a cheaper rate!
How can two customers with the same single land line pay different charges for the same thing? Could you please explain the reason behind this?
Notwithstanding, my father has been out of service for the last week and apparently wont be back in service until 11th February 2022.
This is 2022 how come a phone can be disconnected this length of time?
We need to support our elderly generation not cut them off and charge them double.

John

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: My fathers Account

@headers2wrote:

Hello, I am raising this complaint as I think my father Cecil Gordon Headland aged 94 is getting a rough deal.

This is a customer to customer forum, to raise a complaint you would need to use the official way, you can see how at www.bt.com/complaints

@headers2wrote:

For several years now he has been on a weekend plan which he doesn't require at all and he makes very few calls at all.

Weekend calls was typically given free of charge, although it's an old legacy plan and no longer sold, BT don't offer any free calling plans now.

@headers2wrote:

There are also various 'add ons' with this plan which have never been activated.

At some stage they would of been asked for, addons can be removed anytime with 30 days notice.

@headers2wrote:

My mother in law is on a basic plan and pays less than a half he does per quarter. So I rang your sales dept. to change to the basic plan. I was told it no longer exists and my father was on the cheapest tariff.
Clearly not, if someone else is getting the same service at a cheaper rate!
How can two customers with the same single land line pay different charges for the same thing? Could you please explain the reason behind this?

Sounds like BT Basic, the advisor is correct and it's no longer sold, existing customers can retain it but it's a lagacy product replaced with Home Essentials 

@headers2wrote:

Notwithstanding, my father has been out of service for the last week and apparently wont be back in service until 11th February 2022.
This is 2022 how come a phone can be disconnected this length of time?

Does the Help team know about your fathers alarm pendant ? he might qualify for a welfare case on the fault if he meets the criteria, call 0800 800 150 and ask about escalating the fault as a welfare case

Moving forward there are options, if your father has no broadband, BT are 1 of 2 providers that offer a discount for no broadband access, this reduces the line rental to around £11.45 per month plus a calling plan on top depending on his needs.
If he doesn't have broadband there is a landline only package that might be worth looking at, it's called Home Phone Saver  which is £21.99 per month (standard line rental is £20.20) and includes unlimited minutes and a lot of extras, it also comes with a price freeze guarantee
Another option I linked about is Home Essentials  and is a low cost package for customers on qualifying benefits.

@headers2wrote:

We need to support our elderly generation not cut them off and charge them double.

BT offer a range of support to customers who need a bit of extra help, not just age related but any impairments like mobilty or hearing, have a look at Here For You 

Message 3 of 8

Tried the BT complaints page.

It doesn't work!

"Sorry, something went wrong" message every time.

Brilliant idea

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

@headers2 

just tried the complaints link @-Richie-  posted and worked without a problem.  are you using a mobile?  if so try switching to desktop view

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Hi @headers2   

I just tried the link on my iPad Safari browser, works fine. It must be something your end.

https://www.bt.com/help/contact-bt/complaints

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

It was my desktop PC using Crome.

‘my bt’ - help - make a complaint.

i’ll try again using the link 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Link works fine.
Its when you write the complaint in and try to send it.
Microsoft Edge this time
'Sorry, something went wrong
We were unable to save your changes at this time. Please try again.'
Don't worry I've had enough
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Hi @headers2 and welcome to our community.

I'm sorry you feel your Dad is paying too much for his line. I can understand your concerns about that. @-Richie- has provided some great replies but I'll be happy to take a look at this to check if there is anything we can do to help. I'll drop you a private message now so you can send over the details.

Cheers

David