cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Openreach keeps on canceling line installation with no explanation

Hello All,

Happy new year and hope all doing well.

Starting to loose hope of getting broadband at the new address...

Long story short I've move house and after being with BT for past 4 or so years decided to do house move instead of going with new provider.
Openreach on their website states that I can get "Superfast Fibre Broadband" with up to 77mbps speeds. All great.
When checking on BT website it comes up only cooper 10mbps line available.
Multiple calls with BT and deal was struck that I will move to 10mbps line for time being until previous tenants line gets terminated and then it will be available to me and upgraded. Few days later following up with BT and all of the sudden move has been cancelled due undisclosed issues with Openreach and they have to cancel the order and I need to redo new order. 24 hours later and more calls - new order received and all is good.
Few days later, same issue Openreach didn't fulfil the order and there is a problem with phone line movement. I assure that I do not need the phone line and number can be nucked. New order placed and all dandy.
Few days go by and I follow up again and suddenly line has availability and I can get Fibre 2 (70mb line). Sounds like a deal, spoke with advisor and decided to go for it. All sorted and now I just wait for line activation.
Line suppose to be activated on 27th, then it gets changed to 29th. On 29th I follow up again to see if all is good and I get told that Openreach couldn't activate the line and new activation date will be 2nd of January.
On 2nd of January  I get a call from advisor saying that Openreach has cancelled activation and order can't go through and I have to cancel the order and redo it again. I've checked the line availability and again I'm back with only 10mbps line availability. I've asked advisor why Openreach is keep on cancelling the orders for line activation but apparently there is no explanation.
If anyone has experience with similar situation please share. I understand that I can't speak with Openreach directly to find out the root cause but speaking through BT seems like is going nowhere as well.  I work in tech and primarily from home so having no broadband is not great. 4g connectivity is pretty  poor here and barely any 5g on this side of town so not an option.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Openreach keeps on canceling line installation with no explanation

Did address checker and getting this
Cabinet 31

Screenshot 2024-01-04 011156.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

Essentially there's no spare ports in the cabinet for FTTC (you can see this by it stating waiting list)

You'll have to keep checking and wait for a spare port to become available. It's first come first serve.

Message 4 of 11

Hello @abcregis 

Home Moves (HM) are always extremely complicated and have many problems but here is what sounds like has happened;

If the other tenant/homeowner wishes to move their services and you attempt to take over the line, this creates an AOT (Advice Of Transfer) to the other customer, their CP may wish to cancel the AOT (your order) if they feel they cannot move the customers services quick enough.

Due to the national upgrade of the BT/Openreach Network means customer’s on FTTC (Fibre To The Cabinet) will need to be moved onto SOGEA (Stand Alone Broadband with Digital Voice) as part of the upgrade ISP’s can no longer place multiple NEW LINE orders to a property with a working service unless it’s for Business Use.

If Openreach saying you can get FTTC but BT saying it’s ADSL this could be either an address issue with BT’s records or Openreach Records, the way to check is by going onto another ISP website such as SKY enter your postcode and see if that’s showing ADSL or FTTC, if showing ADSL and matching BT this issue is with Openreach.

All ISP don’t have a list of every property and their line speeds this database is with Openreach so their results are pulled from Openreach.

This would explain the reason Openreach keep cancelling the order due to inaccurate data or wrong product ordered.

Now if that’s not the case and SKY is showing as FTTC this could mean that BT have got the address wrong only takes 1 character in human error and never been picked up or mean the services and address are not reflecting each other.

Any ISP can resolve issues like this but can take a minimum of 5 working days to correct.

Or This could be the cabinet is over subscribed and your unable to have broadband and go into a waiters list for customers who leave their CP or move to FTTP or Openreach will make more capacity in the cabinet.

The way around this is wait for the old tenant/Homeowner to move their services wish will create a space within the cabinet for you to have FTTC, if the other tenant/homeowners services have already been moved and still no space then BT cannot offer you services at this time so you’ll need to look at other ISPs such as Zoom Fibre, Lila Connect, City Fibre, Virgin, etc.

In terms of appointments keep changing this is due to engineer availability and happens a lot over Christmas due to having the festival period off and New Year, where the work stack is too high for the engineers so they cannot fulfill your order.

Hope this helps! 🙂 If you like my reply and
want to say thanks for the helpful answer
then please click on the Kudos on left hand
side 😉 also if I answers your question correctly please let us know by clicking on Mark as Accepted Solution 😄
Message 5 of 11

Yeah seems like I've got reservation for it but then it got dropped 😞

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

Thank you for the reply, really helpful! 

Fibre upgrade is scheduled for my address but timeline is between now and December 2026... 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

I wonder what are the chances of Openreach expanding WBC SOGEA on this cabinet. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

@abcregis 

none no more cab upgrades

everything now is FTTP

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 9 of 11

Right I see. 

So with this note in mind from address checker I am stuck with no internet connection in the property.

"FTTP is not available.

The exchange is not in a current fibre priority programme"

Thank you for your help

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

You’ll have to go with a ISP that don’t use the BT Openreach Network such as Virgin, Lila Connect, Zoom Fibre, City Fibre etc etc, services as of yet cannot be offered due to over subscribed cabinet.

Hope this helps! 🙂 If you like my reply and
want to say thanks for the helpful answer
then please click on the Kudos on left hand
side 😉 also if I answers your question correctly please let us know by clicking on Mark as Accepted Solution 😄