cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 14

Re: Sky still charging me after switching to BT

Go to solution

@DavidM @NeilO 

My mum's having the same issues. Charged £144 after switching to BT broadband last September. No communication from Sky, just a threatening debt collection notice

I was the account holder with Sky, acc no. ********* We cancelled the TV package etc. but switched the broadband to BT, which you were meant to take over and cancel with Sky, BT account is now in my mum's name, Christina , account GB******.

Can you advise please. I tried to get her to set up an account here but she couldn't figure out how to receive the verification email, so can you advise me or reach out to her, her username on here is becra1, email: ***

Regards,

Craig Brignall

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Go to solution

I moved your post to start own thread as previous thread was marked completed. Please delete personal account information for your security and also not permitted on forum

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 14

Go to solution

If you were account holder with SKY but your mother is the new account holder with BT then that is probably what has caused the problem and confusion

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply and for the forum advice.

Honestly, this case just highlights the inner workings of Sky and these sort of companies. My parents were loyal customers over 10+ years, left when they thought they were taking advantage with yearly price increases. We switched to BT for the broadband, the switch over was meant to be handle by BT. Then 8 months later we get a debt collection agency requesting £144 which sky never informed us about at all 🙂 

My mum doesn't want me to get a bad financial record and would likely pay the fee if it wasn't for these sort of forums and the ability to highlight the very sketchy business practices of these huge companies.

If you're able to assist in any way would be great! Otherwise I'll just bad mouth Sky on other open forums out of principle until the matter is resolved.

Regards,

Craig

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution

Hi @Briggers88   How did you manage to switch and change the name at the same time?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution

I'm not sure to be honest, I'll investigate. But assume we cancelled everything but the internet with the promise that BT would handle the switch their end. I'll see if we can find written confirmation.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution

Thanks for the response!

We've done some more digging through old correspondence. With regards the name, I was the Sky account holder and was the one who had to cancel. We have an email dated 24/08/23 stating the Sky TV, Broadband & Talk service will all be terminated.

My mum took out the Broadband only contract with BT. They took over the line so nothing was disrupted. But I'm also confused regarding the switch as it went from my name, Craig Brignall, with Sky. To hers, Christina Brignall, with BT. We are both C.Brignall if that explains anything.

We just spoke to Sky and they're claiming that the fee is an early termination charge (switch credit) that BT have to sort.

We're stuck in the middle of the two companies, with Sky effectively making up a charge and sending us a debt collection letter 8 months later. If anyone can offer any further advice would be appreciated. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution

So had your Sky contract expired when you cancelled? If not then you would be liable for the early termination fees.

I believe BT do sometimes have promotions where they offer to cover these fees but that's strictly by invitation only.

Your BT contract will be in the name of whoever signed up for it & made the initial payment.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution

@Briggers88wrote:

We just spoke to Sky and they're claiming that the fee is an early termination charge (switch credit) that BT have to sort.

Hi @Briggers88   I’m afraid that BT do not have any obligation to sort anything, unless this was agreed in advance. Early termination fees are very common and it looks like you are liable. It doesn’t appear to be a “switch”, but a cancellation (with early termination fees) and a new customer with BT. The only thing switched is the connection. In my opinion you are liable to pay the early termination fee to Sky.

Edit: Please note that early termination fees are always paid by the customer (not the new ISP), then any claim for a refund is credited to the new account.

Message 10 of 14

Go to solution

@Briggers88 

'My parents were loyal customers over 10+ years, left when they thought they were taking advantage with yearly price increases. We switched to BT for the broadband, the switch over was meant to be handle by BT. Then 8 months later we get a debt collection agency requesting £144 which sky never informed us about at all'

unfortunately the mid term increases are part of your fixed term contract and you do not have the right to cancel and move to another provider without incurring early termination charges.  looks like you have made an error and now have to pay the £144 requested by Sky