cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Trouble switching my bt business fibre broadband to residential fibre

Go to solution

I have bt fibre broadband to the premises which is out of contract in a few days. I am now retired and closed my business and no longer need this. I am wanting to change to residential fibre but bt residential are saying there is no fibre to the premises and will only offer to connect me to a standard broadband and only then if I cancel my business fibre first. When I try to order or compare fibre residential packages with other providers my address is not recognised as having fibre to the premises as available, but in fact we have all the relevant fibre line numbers and the serial number from the fibre box attached to the house. Really hope somebody out there could help with our dilemma?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Trouble switching my bt business fibre broadband to residential fibre

Go to solution

@Craigbs 

BT Business and BT Residential are totally separate from each other. BT Business use their own fibre nodes and fibre on demand products which are not available to residential users.

You would either have to keep paying for your business fibre, or cease the service, and have a new fibre installation connected to a residential node via a splitter, and possibly a different ONT.

There is possibly an Openreach capacity issue, or simply no fibre network.

Use the address checker on the page below, and post the results, but edit out your address details first.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

It may simply be that there is no residential service available.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Thank you very much for your prompt response, your explanation makes sense. Unfortunately we have used the address checker and as you mentioned it tells us there is no fibre connection and it is currently not a priority. This is so frustrating as we have just retired and worked from home but no longer need the extra cost of the business fibre. You mentioned the possible ‘splitter’ option but we have no idea where to start with that. Thank you again. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

@Craigbs 

Can you see any options for VDSL, it would be on the top line of that results page?

Can you post the full details her, but just edit out your address?

The splitter has nothing to do with this. On a residential fibre connection, the main fibre comes from the exchange, and is then split up many ways to provide the same feed to all residential customers connected to that node. The serial number of the residential ONT is used to identify the end user, and direct Internet traffic to that customer. The customer is sharing that connection with many other users.

Business connections consist of a dedicated fibre just serving that business, who have sole use of that fibre. That is reflected in the initial installation cost which you must have originally paid, and the ongoing rental costs.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

IMG_1435.jpgSorry it’s taken so long to be attach this, does it make any sense to you? these are the results from typing in our current business fibre address. Thanks again for your help, you have provided more information than the whole of BT put together. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

from what you posted there is no FTTP available and in fact there is no FTTC either just normal adsl broadband and you are a long way from exchange hence the very low speed of 1mb

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Hi, @Craigbs welcome to the community and thanks for posting, from the checker results FTTP is unfortunately not available in your area.

Do you currently have a fibre leased line service with BT Business? If so I'm afraid there isn't an equivalent residential service that will work on that line. 

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings