cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Universal Credit

Go to solution

I have been informed that I should be able to get a reduced rate on my broadband as I am on Universal credit but No one has ever told me this since transferring over to BT?

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Universal Credit

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

It is up to you to claim the home essential package

https://www.bt.com/exp/broadband/home-essentials?s_cid=con_bt_dg-home_awin_aff_vidAJM_110483-Editori...

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

How on Earth would BT know if you were on Universal Credit!

It is up to those that feel they are eligible to inform BT via the claim process.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

BT should be advising new customers from the start.  I would not have known if I wasn't told by a friend.  I've lost a  lot of money due to BT customer services not selling the correct product

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

I have just switched to this myself, due to having to give up work to care for my Mrs whom has a long term illness..... 
 The online application didn't work and said I was ineligible as everything is in the Wifes name.... I contacted CS and they dealt with everything very professionally and didn't judge, had to change the account holders name which meant creating a new account, this was done painlessly and all early termination fees were scrapped as I was still within contract, switch over happened last Friday,  all went smoothly apart from the fact they have pushed me onto digital voice (was gonna happen sooner or later)... 
 Considering what you get on the £20 package, it is a no brainer if you're struggling and qualify... the free landline calls themselves are worth nearly that (don't really matter if you don't use your home phone), you virtually get the 74Mbs for free (compared to taking them in a standard package).
 I will also add, if you have any Halo benefits you will lose them... Any wifi extender discs will need returning and any double data on Bt mobiles will be lost

As for BT not advertising it that well, I only found it by doing a search on the www, but it was well publicised when released last year (apparently).... unrelated but you may find your water board also do a reduction scheme that is even less apparent until you dig around

Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

@WJJ1969 wrote:

BT should be advising new customers from the start.  I would not have known if I wasn't told by a friend.  I've lost a  lot of money due to BT customer services not selling the correct product

BT sold you the product you asked for. If you "lost a lot of money" it's because you never told BT you were on Universal Credit.

It is not BT's job to ask every customer if they are on Universal Credit any more than any other private  business asking. Do all the other private companies that you deal with ask you.

Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

@WJJ1969  Had I qualified for UC, I would have researched the various benefits and options available to me. For example, you would have checked if the council offered any help (most do).

Here's a snip from the Daily Record:

Ofcom has called on the UK's Internet Providers to do more to help low-income families save on their broadband bills as it was revealed only one per cent have taken advantage of discounted deals.

As the cost of living rises, Ofcom has called on broadband providers to introduce and more widely promote specially discounted packages.

The regulator says it has found that the packages - sometimes known as ‘social tariffs’ - are currently available to around 4.2 million households in receipt of Universal Credit, but only 55,000 homes - 1.2 per cent of those eligible - have taken advantage of the deals so far.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

I disagree with you.  Other companies who offer discount DO ask.  Working in Customer services BT should have asked.  I checked with Citizens advice and they confirmed I should have been asked at time of offer so please GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT.  DO NOT respond as you obvioously don't know what you are talking about.    When I moved into this house I was offered council tax discount and housing benefit because THEY ASKED if I was on UC. 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

Thanks for this information,  Now sorted

0 Ratings