cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Vulnerable elderly

Go to solution

My dad is 83. He struggles to understand modern things like computers and ISP broadband plans.

He wanted to buy the cheapest, most basic broadband plan, because that's all he needs. So he had a phone conversation with BT customer support to try to arrange it, and ended up buying a 2 year contract with one of the most expensive plans, costing about £56 pm, instead of the plan he needed which was about £25 pm.

He thought he'd bought the cheapest. He didn't understand what he bought which has various extra features that he's got no use for and doesn't understand. I had to explain it to him. If I hadn't told him he still wouldn't know there was a much cheaper option. Now he's locked in a 2 year contract that will cost about £600 more over the term, which is a serious amount for him.

ISPs push their most expensive services. I've had experience of that. Maybe other vulnerable, elderly people, who are struggling to pay their utility bills are in the same situation.

Is there any way I can get them to switch him to the basic broadband cheaper plan?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Vulnerable elderly

Go to solution

Call BT 0330.1234.150 and explain what has happened and ask about the BT Home Essentials package.

Check that your father will be eligible using the sub links in this link.

BT Home Essentials Broadband | Universal Credit Broadband

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Hi @GardenInTheStars1

Welcome to the BT Community and thank you for posting!

I am sorry for the confusion with what was ordered for your Dad.  I understand he intended to order a basic package for his needs.  Give my colleagues a call using the number posted above and feel free to post back to let us know how you get on chatting with them.

Thanks,

Robbie 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution
Thanks for the advice. After I phoned and explained, they said they will approximately halve the monthly bill. That was a week ago, but they don't appear to have yet updated the billing details on his online account so I will keep checking it.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Hi @GardenInTheStars1, thanks for the update. What date was the last bill? You might not see the change until the next bill is issued. 
However, his online account should say what his current package is or if there is an open order to change the package. 

Cheers
John

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

They have updated his next bill estimate to the reduced price, so I think it's sorted now.

Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

That's great @GardenInTheStars1.

Everything should be sorted. However, if you have any issues, please come back to us.

Thank you

DanielS 

0 Ratings