cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 20

Re: Why Can't I order Gfast

Go to solution

with the results of the dslchecker and the max attainable from the router you are probably only 100/150m from your cabinet.  go an look at your cab and see if just standard green cabinet or is there an additional box attached to the cabinet

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2016/06/bt-openreach-reveals-g-fast-broadband-cabinet-extensio...

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 12 of 20

Go to solution

@imjolly 

There was an additional box installed 3 years ago at the same time that I was sent the ultrafast upgrade email by BT retail.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 20

Go to solution

@DeVerewrote:

What would I see if GFast was available?

I'm not sure to be honest. I thought that maybe 100Mb but that seems to be the indication of Fibre 2 speeds. GFast is up to 350Mb so I'd expect to see that. I've tried to find someone on GFast to see what their cab says, but all I seem to see are posts similar to yours. If you know the location of the cab it may be worth running the DSL Checker again, using address mode for that street to see if it's available there.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 20

Go to solution

Thanks to @rbz5416 for confirming that there does appear to be a gfast extension on our cabinet.

In an interesting twist, both sky and talktalk are now offering 150Mb/s (gfast I assume), which is strange if they're getting information from the same system that is telling BT retail that we can't have those speeds.

Could a mod have a look and try to determine what the actual situation is, as I don't want to have to switch providers only to find that what I've ordered doesn't actually exist?

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 20

Go to solution

Hi @DeVere, I'm not sure what's going on here. Did you contact the team advised by @imjolly in message 2? They would be best placed to check this out for you.

cheers

John

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 20

Go to solution

@JohnC2 

The team on the number @imjolly gave me could only really confirm that openreach is telling them that it's not avalible.

However, I just got this email from openreach about it:

"Apologies for any inconvenience caused, I can confirm that GFast broadband is showing as available but a managed install will be required. 
Please let your service provider know that a managed install will be required and if there are any further issues, please ask them to contact us."

So why is openreach telling bt retail one thing and myself, sky and talktalk something else?

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 20

Go to solution

Hi @DeVere, they would be the ones who should know so I'm not sure if we'll be able to get you a different result. 

We'll be happy to see if there is anything we can do to help you. I've sent you a Private Message so you can get in touch with us.

Cheers

John

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 20

Go to solution

Hi @DeVere

Thank you for taking the time to chat with me this afternoon.

I'm sorry about the confusion around G.Fast availability.  I'll investigate this as agreed and I will follow up with you with an outcome in the next 24-48 hours.

Thanks,

Robbie

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 20

Go to solution

Thanks to @imjolly, @rbz5416 and the mods for their help.

If anyone is interested in the outcome, it turns out Gfast was installed into our cabinet over 3 years ago but, for some reason, bt retail can't / won't offer it to us, so we've had to transfer to a different supplier.

It's a little annoying that it's taken this long for any supplier to work out that Gfast was installed and our options have become quite restricted if we want to keep the speeds we now have. Looks like it was a bit of a wasted investment by Openreach as well as, occurring to the Openreach engineer, we're only the 9th property connected to Gfast, and there are quite a lot closer to the cabinet than we are.

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 20

Go to solution

Glad you got a resolution of sorts. But I guess it's not too surprising there's a low take-up if few know it exists!

0 Ratings