cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Why does BT require 30 day notice at the end of a contract?

Go to solution

Have been with BT for almost 24 months. Contract ends in 2 days time. Called BT to say I'm not renewing with them since they can't give me a better deal than those offered by other providers at the time. Was told I needed to give 30 days notice! Can understand needing to give 30 days notice if I call to cancel after my contract end date i.e. during the monthly rolling contract. How is BT allowed to bound customers to literally a 25 months term to what was agreed? Was also threatened with a fine by BT customer service if I don't give them the 30 days notice! 

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Why does BT require 30 day notice at the end of a contract?

Go to solution

Hi @BRed   It sounds like your minimum term ends in two days, your contract is always 30 days notice. With hindsight you should have given your notice 30 days before the minimum term ends.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

@BRed 

If you are moving to a different provider, then you do not need to call BT. Your new provider will inform BT that they are taking over the service.  Cancelling first with BT, is likely to delay any move to another provider, as there would be a pending cease on your line which would have to be completed first.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

You only give need to give notice if ceasing the line altogether, like by moving to a non-Openreach network like Virgin's. If moving to another ISP using the Openreach network you just need to place an order with them 14 days before your contract ends. You didn't need to call to cancel & hopefully you haven't, as that will impact the transfer.

If we're being generous it could be that the BT rep you spoke to was just confused by your intention. But as we regularly see from other posts here, many appear badly misinformed & provide inaccurate information.

Message 5 of 8

Go to solution
Hi VetarnISPUser, thanks for your response. Unfortunately, I'm not gifted enough to remember the T&C from 24 months ago! and BT conveniently left this information out in the 'moving provider' section of the renewal letter they sent and when they called me a month back!
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution
Thanks Keith_Beddoe and rbz5416 for your advice.

I've not cancelled yet. Will contact other provider
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

It's a while since I last switched but the default switch date always used to be 14 days after placing the order. Depending on which package you have with BT, you may now be charged a higher rate between the contract end date & the transfer date.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

FWIW, most providers do the same , if you were a customer of any Telco and didn’t want to renew ,  (giving up service on the Openreach network completely  ) then to end service on the same date as the expiry of the minimum term , you would need to inform them 30 days before the date the minimum term expires, if moving to a different provider also using Openreach then , because it takes 10-14 days to arrange, you contact the new provider approximately 2 weeks before the minimum term expires and  the changeover hopefully  takes place on the correct date, if the new provider offers the option to enter an exact date ,  but that requires OR process the migration on the exact date , and that isn’t guaranteed.

A few days before  or a few days later than the ideal date is hardly a problem, a couple of days early , the ETC is likely to be negligible, as would be the ‘extra’ cost and if done a couple of days late, (paying for a couple of days at the higher out of contract price )

The chances are the way bills are produced ,  you will pay for the month after the changeover anyway , and be refunded any days paid for that you were not a BT customer.

0 Ratings