cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

cancelling BT

I told BT back in March that I would be cancelling my broadband and landline.  So did Sky, the new provider.  On 29th March BT sent me a text message confirming the termination.  My new service with Sky started on 16th April.  But BT haven't cancelled either the broadband or the landline and looks as though they will still be billing me for it.  Even though it's disconnected and my landline number was ported over to Sky.  I am currently on hold with the latest call to try to sort this.  I've been on the phone for 29 minutes so far and still not sorted.  I cannot believe this and it just reinforces why I have left BT.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: cancelling BT

@DianeDance 

This is just a customer to customer help forum, everyone here, including myself, are just customers.

The only BT Employees are the forum moderators.

It can take up to 30 days after cancelling, to receive your final bill, this would show any credit for unused service, which is normally refunded back to your Direct Debit bank account which you used for BT.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Thanks.  I read on moneysavingexpert that the moderators sometimes sort issues out so that's why I posted.  Also I'm still on the phone to BT (38 mins so far).  They have now accepted its their mistake and my defunct broadband is still showing as live. They now need to patch me through to someone else to fix things but I'm not hopeful.  

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

If Sky service is being delivered over the same Openreach ‘line’ , then you don’t contact BT yourself, Sky serve notice on your behalf , if you had left it to Sky , then it’s a 10-14 day notice , presumably the Sky service has now replaced the BT service over the same Openreach network, so practically you don’t have BT service anymore, Sky service is in its place .
You probably messed up the migration by taking it upon yourself to advise BT , that probably will result in a 30 day notice period, it’s probable that the BT billing period doesn’t align with the 30 day notice , so a BT bill for a period after Sky took you as a customer is already in the works , but any days paid to BT after Sky took over your service are refunded …
TBH , there is always a period where you pay your old provider and then get a refund, it would be exactly the same someone moving from Sky to BT ( or anyone else ) , the fact is you probably made it more complicated by advising BT yourself, instead of following the proper process, which is you contact the new provider and leave it up to them , in that respect you are probably the architect of your own misfortune

Message 5 of 7

@DianeDance 

The moderators only deal with issues that cannot be resolved any other way. If you are still being charged, 30 days after you informed BT, then they may be able to help.

The delay is due to you not following the correct procedure when changing provider.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

It's not. BT have said it's their error.  They are going to call me back if/when they've sorted it.  They can see on the notes that I did the right thing.  It's not my fault.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Migrating to another provider using the same Openreach infrastructure ( so , for example BT FTTC to Sky FTTC , ) is GPL , gaining provider led , there is no need to contact the losing provider , the gaining provider serves notice on behalf of the customer to the losing provider,

If this was your situation, moving from BT to Sky remaining on Openreach infrastructure, unless you were  getting a new FTTP installation from Openreach , contacting the losing provider yourself messes up the process , if you advise BT of your intention to cease ,then contact Sky , that will  make  the Sky migration order fail , because you cannot migrate a line that has a pending cease on it  …..there may well have been other issues , but it’s a fact , you shouldn’t contact the losing provider yourself if it’s a migration, but apparently you did .

0 Ratings